Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Increasing depth of wall

Posted by Geoffrey_B (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 14:50

I want to install a Toto wall hung toilet (with the water closet inside the wall.) However the main stack is in the way. I'm not going to relocate the main stack.

I am planning on making another 2x4 wall and attaching it to the current wall. The wall isn't very long - about 54".

How to attach it? What to attach the bottom plate to, besides the floor? There is no joist at this location.

I thought about scabbing on to the sides of the current studs with plywood, glue, and screws.

I plan on getting an inspection.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Increasing depth of wall

Nailing al plywood piece at the top bottom and middle of each stud should be adequate but metal nailing plates on each side at those locations would probably be better and easier. Don't split the studs.

I can't think what the purpose glue would be unless this is going to be a shear wall with the top and bottom plates bolted to the structure.

o

Metal nailing plates - like what HD sells various types of Tees and Joining Plates for rafters, decks, etc. ?

This post was edited by Geoffrey_B on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:50

o

I don't think I've built a house ever that didn't need scabbing onto the existing framing to even out room dimensions or clear pipes or ductwork. Just add on one by twos or two by twos.

I'm not clear what the purpose of the metal nailing plates would be.

If the TOTO doesn't have a pre-fabricated metal hanging mount, blocking will be necessary for the wall hung w.c.

o

In multi-family housing the metal studs of chase walls are usually tied together with squares of drywall. In the case of wood studs I though it would be easier to use metal tie plates instead of plywood but both would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4-1/8X5 Tie Plate

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:44

o

Thanks Renovator8. The tie plate looks good. I figure the wall hung toilet is going to be cantileverled off these studs - I want to make sure they are solid.

o

I'd prefer a steel frame.

o

@worthy: "I'd prefer a steel frame."

Why don't you really read my original post?

o

"Why don't you really read my original post?"

Nowhere in your post do you mention "a steel frame."

This post was edited by millworkman on Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here