Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nitlsu

Framing plans for a building permit

nitlsu
12 years ago

We are converting a portion of our tandem garage (originally 3 car) into a single room and leaving us a 2 car garage.

The HVAC duct is already there from the builder and electrical connections (light/fan/outlets) are too.

Per my city's permit requirements listed at http://www.cityoflewisville.com/main/commdev/forms/requiredresidentialpermits.010312.pdf (See garage conversion)

I need a framing plan and an interior floor plan and I am not sure where to get those from. I am mostly doing this DIY and a registered handyman for the electrical. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

Different municipalities will accept different levels of "plans" for projects. Ask them what they will accept. Some want an architect's plan with an engineer's stamp no matter how simple, and some will take hand drawn plans on graph paper. Call your local inspectors and ask them, as well as ask about the number and timing of the inspections.

However, the project probably isn't as simple as you think it is. To pass inspection, the garage has to be lower than the house, and that means building up the location where the room will go with either another concrete pour or sleepers. A handyman is not going to be allowed to do electrical work beyond changing out light fixtures, etc. If you pay someone to do electrical, they have to hold an electrician's license. I doubt seriously if the HVAC has any ductwork attached to it as it wouldn't have been allowed to pass inspection to have a penetration from the house into the garage. (You don't want car exhaust coming into the house and poisoning your family!) It's probably just a blind outlet with no duct. Your home's original HVAC system most likely was not oversized, or else it would be running pretty inefficiently. You'll need a mini split system for the room itself or else redo the home's HVAC to handle the additonal space.

• nitlsu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you hollysprings!

I neglected to mention the HVAC duct was capped so we had to just cut the drywall, uncap it and install a vent. Yes the garage was at a lower level and we used wood sleepers to raise the level.

Unfortunately our work is already halfway done and our contractor didn't think we needed a building permit. But only now I realize that I should have been more dilligent ...sigh!

Any suggestions/experience on how this will go down eventually? I really don't want to have to tear this whole thing down because of my and my contractor's incompetency :(

Thanks

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Measure the space and draw it neatly on graph paper with dimensions and relevant notes as has already been suggested.

I don't know why you would need a framing plan if you aren't building a new structural floor or roof. Just note the type and spacing of the sleepers and any vapor retarder, etc. You would need to show the size and location of any new joists that support a new ceiling.

The wall between the space and the garage will need to have drywall of a certain type on the garage side depending on the applicable building code. Using 1/2" type C or 5/8" type X fire-resistance-rated drywall will usually satisfy the strictest requirement but ask the local inspector.

If there is a door in the new garage separation wall, it will probably have to be solid core wood, hollow metal or fire-resistance rated so ask about that too. Rarely the door needs an automatic closer. If the new room is a bedroom there can not be a door from the garage opening directly into it.

The important issue for the building inspector is whether or not any code controlled work has already been covered up. If so, you might uncover it before going for a permit. But since the primary code issue is the construction of a "smoke barrier" wall separating the garage and the house, make sure that wall is still open on at least one side.

Be sure the builder is licensed as a contractor and electrician. The fact that he didn't know he would need a permit is troubling.

• Billl
    12 years ago

Yikes! Your builder is lying. Anybody with building experience knows that they need a permit for a job like this. Unless your handyman is an electrician, he can't do your electrical work.

Call the department and ask what type of plans they accept. This varies widely by area.

Typically, you will need a framing/structural permit, an electrical permit, and a HVAC permit. You will generally be required to have inspections at various stages of construction. If you missed those stages, you may be required to remove some of the work and redo it. That typically only happens if you have covered up the work so it can't be inspected.

• nitlsu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the detailed answers. After hearing your thoughts I didn't want our existing handyman touching anything else in the project (although it's almost done) and I'd prefer starting afresh with someone who is aware of the requirements and more importantly of how to handle the process going forward.

1. Any suggestions on who to hire? Should it be another licensed contractor? Do I need to hire a electrician/HVAC contractor separately? Question is for something that's almost 95% finished, how do I start from scratch?

2. As far as dealing with the city, should I be concerned about them having us tear the whole thing down? Also we just did this last week - how does the city typically handle these issues? Are there penalties and if so typically how much? I just want to get an idea beforehand.

As always, thanks very much!

• Billl
    12 years ago

1) You can hire a general contractor to manage everything OR you can hire people to do individual parts. eg just hire an electrician and do the grunt work yourself. I've found Angie's list to be a great place for unbiased reviews.

2) Most cities are pretty good about dealing with homeowners if they are trying to do the right thing. There may be a small fine for inspecting "old" work, but that would be nominal. I think my city is $75. The only concern I have would be if you closed in all the major work so they couldn't actually see if it was done right.

• User
    12 years ago

Individual municipality requirements vary widely. The only way you can know the answers to your questions is to make an appointment with a building inspector. And I say make an appointment, because these guys are typically in the field a lot of the day and you don't want to show up and have to come back a dozen times. Talk to the admin assistant in the office and explain the situation and ask who would be the best person to talk to in the office. Explain that you are just trying to do the right thing here and want someone who can work with you to help you do that. Admins typically know who the least grouchy and most helpful inspector is, and you can get steered in that direction. Admins are the "power behind the throne" and keep the office running smoothly. Take advantage of that and be super nice to them and you may not have any problems at all.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I've never known a building inspector to make appointments except in Manhattan where you had to hire somebody's cousin to go in with you. Inspectors usually have morning hours where they are available at the counter so you need to get there early and get in line. Find out which one handles your neighborhood and ask for him.

The only reason you would have to tear anything down is if it violated the building or zoning code or if it hides a code controlled element.

You should have drawings with you but the inspector will probably just say to stop work until he can visit the site.

There is probably a fine for starting a project without a permit and the only way to know the amount is to ask or search the town information on the internet.

Every building department is unique and they change as the staff changes.