Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mearph

Jeld-Wen Aurora Entry Door Reviews?

Erin
12 years ago

Im considering a Jeld-Wen Aurora Entry Door as a replacement door for my home. I have no overhang which is why im leaning to the fiberglass versus wood. Does anyone have experience or reviews of these doors? Any issues or praise? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• mag77
    12 years ago

I haven't used Jeld-Wen doors, but it's a popular brand and I haven't heard anything negative about them. That said, I love fiberglass doors. They don't warp like wood, don't dent like steel, and take paint and/or stain well. I use generic fiberglass exterior door units from a local supplier and they've performed just fine. No matter what kind of door you use, it's always a good idea to make an overhang to protect it from wind, rain, and sun.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Jeld-wen doors are a mediocre to decent door, make certain the frame if well painted and the install done properly and you should have no major issues. I agree with mag and try and have it under an overhang of some sort and use a storm door.

• Slanting Hill
    8 years ago

I would advise that "failure to provide adequate protection", i.e. overhang, will void the Jeld-Wen warranty. Do not install a storm door as the heat build-up will also void the warranty.

We had a Jeld-Wen Aurora custom fiberglass door installed in December 2015, a 2-panel design, and even with a substantial overhang this door developed serious issues within days. The fiberglass began to split on a bottom corner and the door swelled so much that it finally sealed itself completely shut and we couldn't open it for weeks until today (a month after the initial complaint) when the Jeld-Wen rep came out to assess the problem (we've had about 5 days of California sunshine to dry things out so the door started to shrink back a bit). In addition, the polyurethane finish is peeling at the panel trim details, the door is bowed. There were so many things wrong with it that the Jeld-Wen rep has no doubt that this will be deemed a lemon. It is possible that a flat door, with no panels, with no distressing or fake knots might have stood a better chance of not having so many manufacturing defects. But I cannot in all honesty recommend Jeld-Wen fiberglass doors. We had much cheaper ThermaTru SmoothStar doors installed on the back entrance and two side entrances at the same time and there have been no problems with these at all.

We feel very upset that we were lured into buying a Jeld-Wen door by one of the biggest window and door companies in the South Bay, thinking that we would be getting a quality product to replace our ancient wooden door. Jeld-Wen is all flashy marketing and garbage product, and lousy customer service. Steer clear of this company. Avoid making a nearly $3000 mistake like we did.

• Erin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did end up getting a jeld wen aurora door and have had none of the issues you described. No fading, warping. Or cracking. I am disappointed in the emtek handleset which faded.

• Slanting Hill
    7 years ago

Update to earlier post in Feb 2016: After the Jeld-Wen techs assessed the door on 2.9.16 we later heard that what we had thought was a fiberglass door was in fact a wooden one!! (So, don't ever order a wooden Jeld-Wen door, as it is not solid wood and will split and swell and fade like this one.) The replacement door was supposed to be installed within 8 weeks. Here we are 3 months later and still no sign of replacement door (two estimated delivery dates have come and gone). Meanwhile, we haven't been able to use our stuck-shut front door in all this time lest we damage the frame that the replacement will need to be fitted to. Shameful treatment of customers. Not impressed that Argonaut Window & Door is still recommending Jeld-Wen products.

• Mark S
    7 years ago

Ive had 3 replacement doors put in because the fiberglass skin continues to crack.

It will be interesting to see what Jeld Wen does this time when I call them.

• Xx
    5 years ago
    I would not install any Jeld-Wen products. Terrible warranty and the windows leak horribly!
  • HU-132994595
    5 years ago

Horrible warranty support. I purchased doors 2 years ago and the hinges are heavily rusted (I don't live anywhere near any water). When I called Jeld Wen they said it's my problem and I have to buy new hinges and pay someone to install them; they don't cover their hinges. I asked if this is normal and they say no, but they wouldn't do anything about it. Stay away from this company.

• juliacali
    4 years ago

@Slanting Hill I'm also in the Bay Area and am considering Jeld-Wen Aurora front entry door. How is your Aurora door holding up?

• J w
    4 years ago

For Bay Area folks, which door did you end up using? We are also considering Jed-Wen but seeing this really changed our mind. However we cannot see others with design like Jed-Wen. Would like to get some recommendations.

• juliacali
    4 years ago

@J wI ended up getting a much cheaper Thermatru fiberglass door. I haven't installed it yet so don't know if I will have issues with it. I saw the Jeld-wen door in person and didn't think it's worth paying the premium for.

• J w
    4 years ago

Thanks! Sounds like a wise choice.

• Radio Slicer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@juliacali where did you order Thermatru? HD/Lowes?

@J w what was the brand/dealer you eventually went with?

• Steven Akers
    2 years ago

I bought 2 doors. Exterior mahogany. Both had significant issues. Going to have to paint a 1300 mahogany door. Disappointed. Couldn't use the included frame with the other door. Top jamb was wider than the others. Door wouldn't close. I thought they were a good company. Nope.

• HU-185109297
    last year

I bought a patio door 3 months ago. Can't close it. They can't seem to be able to supply a flush bolt. Many, Many excuses.....still I have a door that doesn't close. They appear to not care until I submitted multiple complaints to every one I could think of. Same story. Same lack of action . Customer service is hoorible!!! In my opinion.

• HU-250681061
    last year

I just installed a jeld wen sliding patio door for a customer. it was a special order, bought through Home Depot but the only thing special about it was the size. she got the double pane insulated with decorative grids. The jamb extensions were broke during delivery, the nailing flange had been cut off at the factory except across the bottom and in two places on each side where they attached the carrying handles. Their are remnants of silicone inside the glass that is highly visible and cannot be removed. I had to basicly custom fit and finish the door so we would’nt have to make repairs to the finish floor. Customer is pleased with the installation but no so much with the product. I do not recommend ordering anything Jeld Wen or from Home Depot. they did refund her $300 off the almost $2000 she paid but the hastle of dealing with Jeld Wen or Home Depot is not worth it.

• Terri Foxwell
    9 months ago

i wouldnt buy a jeld - wen door, they do not stand by their products.

• millworkman
    9 months ago

" i wouldnt buy a jeld - wen door, they do not stand by their products. "

Terri Foxwell Context is key. You want to put down a product and recommend against you should tell us the reasons why. Also proper grammar and punctuation will help make your story more believable. And I do agree with you but your reasons will only help others as well.

• amybsiegel
    7 months ago

We placed an order for front entry door 5 weeks ago. We were just informed that Jed-Wen is closing the Tijuana manufacturing plant and will no longer be making the Aurora line. Back to the Entry door drawing board for us.