Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

info on plugmold wiring - husb. is big diyer

piper101
18 years ago

We're doing a kitchen remodel and so far my engineer husband has done the demo, recessed lighting etc. He's done almost anything and several electrical things in the past. I need info on how this plugmold wiring works and how to do it. Also we'll tie Xenon lighting strips into it if we can. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• formulaross
    18 years ago

IMO, plugmold is an after-the-fact way to handle wiring; it's basically a glorified extension cord, which is not a good way to handle wiring issues. If you're doing a kitchen remodel, the MUCH better way to handle this would be to wire new receptacles behind the drywall/plaster. I suggest you repost this question to the electrical forum, I'm sure the pro's there will give you sound advice. Good luck.

• snoonyb
    18 years ago

The use of plugmold is a common method of providing both a clean backsplash and convenience recep. at the work surface.
    You'll need to GFCI protect them and because of the size of the recep. you'll need to do it at the service panel.

Determine the upper cabinet layout and bring a 12/2 feed out of the wall at 54" above the floor at or near a corner of an upper where you need power.

For your strip lighting, do the same,(14/2), and transition to your fixtures via one of the several wiremolds available.

• ksquared21
    17 years ago

How do you bring the wiring for the plugmold through the wall? Do you need a single gang box? Alot of thei nfo shows using conduit.

• User
    17 years ago

IMO, plugmold should be planned for early in the project. We hardwired ours to the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. Conduit came right to the surface of the finished drywall, Wire extended into the back of the cabinet just at the top of the bottom shelf. Then we ran the wiring through the bottom of the cabinet exactly at the spot the plugmold was installed. Nothing is visible. Our plugmold is at the back of the underside of the cabinet. This application passed our electrical inspections. We don't have any wall outlets/plugs.

• jamesk
    17 years ago

I have plugmold thoughout my kitchen under all upper cabinets. It's very convenient and invisble unless you stick your head under the cabinets. My architect suggested it and provided the specifications. It was not an add-on (being a part of the original design) and meets all local electrical codes. It would hardly be considered a glorified extension cord.

The plugmold in my kitchen runs under the back edge of all upper cabinets and is angled at 45 degrees. Having the angle makes it easier to plug into, without having to crane my neck to guide plugs into the receptacles. I recommend the angled setup.

Under-cabinet xenon lighting was also installed, but is on separate dimmable circuits unconnected to the plugmold or any other outlets.

James

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

I like my plugmold pointing straight down--it means that the cord falls straight down instead of jutting out at an angle and poking into the working space.

The conduit comes out of the plaster wall, and goes into the box that is used at the beginning of a Plugmold run. There's a collar that holes the conduit in place.

Go ask over at Kitchens, bcs lots of people have pics of their Plugmold installations.

Were I to do it over again, actually, I would put the outlets way down by the countertop, inside a 2" or 3" backsplash made of the countertop material. Then, anything left plugged in for very long (toaster, etc.) would NOT have cords traveling up the full height of the backsplash.

One thing I do like about Plugmold is that there's an outlet every 6 inches--that's sort of nice, to be able to plug in almost anywhere.