Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dljmth

Matching Finishes Hinges and Knobs/Levers

dljmth
10 years ago

Our current doors have satin nickel hinges. Am wondering if it would look odd to have oil rubbed bronze knobs/levers or if it would be better to swap out hinges too. Our house is a California ranch that we are updating to a more contemporary feel - still keeping clean lines, no crown moldings, vertical oriented glass window panes, etc. The new kitchen has stainless steel appliances with darker although warm staining. I'm wondering if satin nickel knobs on the doors might feel too contemporary and cold and if oil rubbed bronze is a better way to go. But then again the hinges are all SN so not sure if it would look OK to mix the finishes. Thought?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Interior finishes (like most everything else) are a matter of personal taste. IMO, hardware finishes should all match one another, in order to create a unity and harmony for the hardware that appears intentional and purposely designed, rather than a serrendiptious mixture of hardware finishes that appear to be without any conscious thought.

I tend to prefer hardware and the objects to which they are attached, to blend together and I look to make "design statements" in other ways rather than using hardware to create contrasting objects for the eye.

Thus, I'd use whatever hardware, pulls and hinges blend together best and disappear from view on the cabinets as much as possible. Just my approach to aesthetics; other's milage may vary.

Good luck with your project.