Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barrier under flooring

Posted by rspecker (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 13:31

I am remodeling my house and want to make sure that no air/smells come up from under the house. I am installing hardwood (most rooms) and stone/tile (entry/laundry/bathrooms) throughout the house. Heat will come from FAU in attic, with ducts in the ceilings.

Is there a product that I should have contractor put on top of the sub floor (e.g., some type of sealer) that makes sure the floor is impermeable? If so, can I also put this material at bottom of bay inside the wall between the studs--so that the walls are also impermeable with respect to the crawl space?

Basically, I don't want any holes in my walls/floors relative to the crawl space. Is there some reason this is not possible? It seems like it should be possible to make the floor completely air tight.

I do not want whatever material I use to smell either--so it would need to be low or no VOC.

House is 1964 ranch-style in Northern California--standard framing construction with crawl everywhere--2x4 walls.

Hopefully this make sense!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barrier under flooring

Vapor seal the ground under the crawlspace and properly insulate the subfloor. With your phobias here, look at doing spray foam as it will insulate and air seal both. But only if the moisture in the crawl is properly managed. If it's done incorrectly, then you would be holding a wet sponge against your framing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here