Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I find an Amish builder in OH

Posted by LMRinc (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 12:59

We are looking to do some massive renovations to the home we just bought. It's a very small cabin and we need to build on to the whole house. We are in Columbus OH and we've met with some arch's who keep boasting that they use amish builders. We are now thinking we don't need an architect, just a great builder but everyone around here is absurdly expensive!

I understand some won't travel too far. I'm just hoping I can get a hold of someone who can be fair and so excellent work...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I find an Amish builder in OH

Massive renovations needs an architect. Builders aren't qualified for design ideas nor to provide engineering. Especially if they aren't licensed contractors, as most Amish are not. You will need the architect also for the stamped drawings that you will need to provide in order to receive a building permit.

o
RE: How do I find an Amish builder in OH

I have worked with Mennonite builders, many times. I can say from experience that they do not have any better skills or habits any other "good quality" builders have.

It is almost racist to me when I hear about Amish builders. I wouldn't hire a brickmason because they were Italian or a jeweler because they were Jewish. I would hire them based on reputation and skills.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here