Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help of choosing garage shelf or closet.

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 12:44

The garage of my newly bought house is empty. I am thinking of buying either closets or shelves. Closets look neat and nice, and also hide storage from public view, but it needs opening space for the closet doors. Shelves do not need that opening space and are also easier for us to get things. My husband and kids tend to forget things put in the closet.

Are there any storage shelves or closets you can suggest? Any input or sharing of experience is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help of choosing garage shelf or closet.

I've liked the IKEA storage solutions. Do you live near one?

o

Thank you very much, kirkhall. I am living in the bay area. The nearest ikea is in East Palo Alto. Another one is near Oakland. What kind of storage solutions does IKEA have?

o

Have you considered using tamboured doors, I think that is the name. IKEA might even have those types. I've seen aluminum tamboured doors in medical furniture. Its the roll top type feature on appliance garages and old desks. I think they are quit common in storage cabinets like you need.

o

Thank you very much, enduring. I'll look for cabinets with tamboured doors.

o

The cheapest, easiest solution is ordinary standards and brackets with particle board shelves. Lots of options in hardware depending on the weight of what you need to store. Most big box stores sell pre-cut shelving or you can save money by buying sheets of particle board and cutting it yourself. You can "dress" things up a bit with melamine shelves.

Lots of folks recycle kitchen cabinets for garage storage. If you don't have any, there are places that sell used cabinets and the like. Or RTA type cabinetry.

If you don't like any of that, most of the big box home improvement stores have garage organization "systems". Those can be a bit pricey depending on what you choose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here