Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thomas Ville Cabinet failure to seal

Posted by dnichols57 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 12:27

I bought the best kitchen cabinet available at Home Depot. What I did not know is the cabinets do not close all the way leaving a 1/8" gap between the door and the face frame. Normally this is not a problem but when the cabinet is next to the cooking and exhaust hood it is a disaster. Moist sticky grease filled air molecules come into the cabinets and the dishes get coated with grease. At first you don't notice it but then after a month or so the glasses and dishes on the top shelf are cloudy with grease and need to be washed. There has to be a way to seal these cabinets and still have them close properly. I know they can do better than this. Buyers beware.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thomas Ville Cabinet failure to seal

Sounds to me like either installation or hinge adjustment. What do the ones in the showroom look like?

o

While there is a soft plastic door stopper to keep the doors from slamming it sounds like you need to adjust the hinges. 6 way adjustable hinges can adjust in and out as well as side to side and up and down. Get a screwdriver and start adjusting. It's VERY simple.

And get a MUCH better exhaust fan. People with decent exhaust fans don't experience any nasty grease on their dishes even with open shelving next to the range. Is yours actually exhausted externally? How many CFM does it have? What method of grease capture? How frequently do you clean it?

o

I just had my Thomasville installed and met wtih the Home Depot designer an hour ago. I love the cabinets, but the space was a bit large on mine too. For me it was aesthetics and did not think about the grease problem. I had the installer do some adjusting, and it's much better.

Howver, a few of my doors had slight warping and bowing which added to the space problem. Thomasville will allow up to 5 doors to be replaced without them having to visit your kitchen. You might want to take a closer look at the straightness of them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here