Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rough Opening for a Pre-Hung Door

Posted by millerjoe49 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 12:15

I have a rough opening of 33 1/2 inches for a doorway. Am I safe installing a 32 x 80 pre-hung solid door there? Articles I read talk about needing 34 inches for a 32 inch door. I'm wondering if that 1/4 inch on each side will make a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rough Opening for a Pre-Hung Door

Yes, the 1/4" will make a huge difference if you need to do any shimming since few door openings are square!

I'd first measure the pre-hung frame to see what it's true width is. I installed a garage ext. door last summer and had more than enough space since the unit was narrower than the 33 1/2" they claimed it to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info

o

As a rule, your header size is 5" wider. When the jack/trimmer studs are in that lessens it by 3". On a 32" door, you would have a 34" r.o.. One thing that you can do is pull one of the jack or trimmer studs and replace it w/ a 3/4 " board. If you have 2x4 framing, replace it with a 1x4,(3/4" x 3-1/2"). If you have 2x6 framing, replace it w/ a 1x6,(3/4" x 5-1/2"). Leave the jack/trimmer stud on the side where the door has hinges as you will want to put longer screws in through the hinges into the jack/trimmer studding.

To save a little trouble, you might check in w/ the mfgr of the pre-hung, as some have a different r.o. spec'd out and 33-1/2" might be okay. The above is a standard.

o

I measured the door with the jamb and it measures 33 inches. Like I said previously, I have 33 1/2 inches as a R.O. with a 2x4 as a jack stud. Leaving things the way they are, I'll have 1/4 inch open on each side. I have plenty of space on the top and bottom.

o

Sounds good. Just make sure you check each jack stud for plumb and that you have 33-1/2" all the way down. It's going to be a little tight for shimming but if the jack stud is plumb on the hinge side, run the hinge side jamb tight to that jack. You might have to shim a little to keep the jambs straight. If the opening is not plumb and you find a 1/4" each side is not enough, pull the jack opposite the hinge side and replace w/ a 1x4.That will give you more than enough wiggle room for shimming plumb and straight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here