Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attaching Cabinets to a Brick Wall

Posted by malhgold (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 11:19

I am considering attaching some upper kitchen cabinets to a brick wall. Is this possible, and if so, how is it done? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attaching Cabinets to a Brick Wall

There are a number of ways to do it. You can mount them directly to the wall. You can mount wood to the wall and screw the cabinets to the wood. You can use a french cleat system and hang the cabinets like a picture.
In all cases you will need to plumb and level the cabinets so they sit correctly and are not racked. Walls are never like this and you need to use shims to get it right.
The method you use will depend somewhat on the layout and how obvious the support system can be.
Ron

o

I would look into the masonry anchors available to you. The last thing you want is them falling. Give consideration to how much weight there is. Someone would have to confince me that the brick will not crumble.

o

Use anchors into the mortar joints (not the brick itself).
For heavily loaded cabinets steel expanding anchors should be used.

It is usually much easier to attach a wood ledger to the brick, then attach the cabinets to the ledger.
With a wood ledger you can spot fasteners as required without worrying about the cabinets.

o

Tapcon screws work great. This is how I fastened my cabinets to concrete walls in the basement. Drill a hole in concrete and these screws will screw right into the hole. Makes it all much easier.

o

Brickeyee, this is not a disagreement, its curiosity, why is the mortar a stronger hold then the brick it self.

o

Tapcons are great in concrete, but i wouldn't trust them in block. Block is much more pourous and not nearly as compressed as concrete. I would use sleeve or wedge anchors.

o

There is usually no load rating for the bricks and they are much more subject to cracking from drilling and using expansion anchors.

The same applies to Tapcons.
They are designed for concrete, but can be made to limp in mortar.
Using them in brick or black is a crap shoot at best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here