Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonsworld_gw

Cutting small ceramic tiles (+ backing question +grout design)

cinnamonsworld
17 years ago

Someone's helping us put in a small amount of tile around the corners of a hot tub wood frame, and I'm hearing back about difficulties experienced.

I bought several square feet (they come in square foot squares) of 1" tiles on a net-like backing, some spacers, and some grout. The person cutting the tile is saying he has to cut the tile wet and when he does the rest of the tiles slide off the backing - plus it's difficult to cut the small tiles.

So my questions are:

- What's the best way to cut small ceramic tiles (I think he's using a saw... but there aren't that many that really have to be cut - it's just along the hot tub edge... I wonder if some kind of nippers might be easier)?

- Rather than trying to cut the tile wet while it's on the backing, doesn't it make more sense to fit what tiles you can, dry, while they're on the netting, using good scissors to trim the other tiles away - and then cut with nippers those tiles that you trimmed away, to fit them?

- Lastly, do you ever see decent-looking applications (pictures welcome) where there is, say, a wide (1"?) swath of grout at the edges of a design (filling in the zig-zag that would occur at an edge if one was not planning to cut tiles into pieces)? This is an older hot tub amd enclosure and I'd consider this if I could be convinced it would look decent but not bad.

Thanks.

Comments (4)