Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punky5656punky

Remodel whole house-any idea of cost

Punky5656
11 years ago

Hi All,
I have been an avid reader and researcher here forever. So much great info.
Here is our situation: we recently bought a 3600 sq ft. 1920 brick colonial in a lovely Northern New Jersey neighborhood. Its live-able, but severely outdated and not our style. We want to remodel almost everything. The only thing that will be untouched are the living room and attic.
We plan to do the following:
rip out 3 and a half baths down to studs, remodel using HD marble and glass tiles (all the way to ceiling), Kohler Archer fixtures, tubs, toilets, etc. Restoration Hardware lighting.
Rip out entire kitchen (14 x 17) to studs. replace tile floor with hardwood. Move plumbing to accommodate new kitchen design,Viking appliances, Kraft maid shaker cabinets and island, honed cararra marble tops for counter and island. Elkay extra deep sink and moen faucet. Drawer pulls and additional detail TBD.
Rip out laundry room to create mud room (create cubbies. shelves, etc). install slate floors in mudroom.
Take out all "stucco" walls and ceiling in den. Replace with drywall and shaker molding.
Remove carpet in 4 rooms (1000 sq ft) and replace with Espresso Taun ($4.50 sq foot). There is only a subfloor under carpet.
Removal of 11 hollow core doors (30 x 80) and replace with Jeldwen 5 panel shaker doors. Hardware TBD.
Install paver patio in yard...approx 400 sq ft. Paver material TBD.

Of course there will be a million little things that I am forgetting and will come along during the job......
We just closed yesterday, and of course we will be doing a budget prior to removing even a single nail. My husband plans to oversee all the construction, using a crew (3 guys) that he worked on another construction job with. The guys are about $120/day.

So.......here's the question....if we were to try and power through and do it all at once, any idea what the WHOLE thing will cost (labor, materials, apppliances, tiles, etc). and how long it would take??? Not expecting anyone to actually add thngs up, but what is your gut reaction cost?

I am not naive, and realize that our dream of doing it all at once will probably not happen....but we have also (sort of) embraced the idea of a long, slow, loving process, allowing us to live in the space and "feel" our way to the right decisions.
I won't be offended by any answers, so hit me! Getting prepared for some serious sticker shock. In any case, we are so happy to finally be among the homeowners here that have a vision of how to turn a house into a home! Thanks all!

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

$120 a day is a laborer not a carpenter,so if they will be installing personally I think your in trouble from the beginning.

• User
    11 years ago

I agree with millworkman. You won't get good quality results using unskilled labor. $150 a day is sledgehammer demolishing, or digging holes for plants. Things you need muscles for, but not brains. I'm in a low cost labor area of the country, and even medium skilled labor is $300 a day. For in demand, skilled workers such as masons, or a cabinet installer, double that. For trades, like plumbers and electricians, triple that.

You're describing higher than average level finishes in an expensive area of the country that has lots of bureaucratic hoops to jump through.. You'll spend easily as much as the house cost to do all of that. If not more, depending on what you paid for it. Hopefully, the home has the higher ceilings and good layout that people are looking for these days. Otherwise, doing all that you describe isn't a wise expenditure in a home that doesn't have the bones to support it.

• Punky5656
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Forget that I said the 3 guys @ $120.
    I thought that they would be there throughout the project, but maybe my Husband will not use them for the skilled part. I will address this with him! But l love to learn, so thanks for pointing that out about the levels of worker!!
    In any case, what would one expect to pay, using all the right people, plumber, electric, proper installers (but still GC'ing ourselves) with the "type" of appliances, cabs, floors, fixtures? Andf what kind of time frame?

Thanks again for the info!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I think you should first price out all the appliances, fixtures, countertops, flooring and hardware that you intend to use just to understand the percentage of the budget they're going to take.
    My rough guess for what you plan to do would be at least $500K and the time frame could vary from months to years (if you do the work yourself). We did a major DIY rebuild years ago and brought in pros for drywall, cabinets & flooring. It took us years. We would just get burned out, have to take a summer off and work in the yard, then 3 months later start working on the house again.

Our last remodel was a 3000 sq ft home which we really just updated (no gutting of rooms) and added an office and bathroom. That took 6 months with someone working every day and cost $250K. Seven months later we had to spend another $30K to correct the problems the first GC created.

I suggest you bring in some GC's and ask for a rough estimate, then add another 50% to it. It's the hidden problems behind the walls, under the floor, and in the attic that will get you.

Before doing anything, make sure you have your financing in order and in hand.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

If husband has never GC'd a project of any size re think that strategy. The money you save will be spent and much more on the learning curve.

Anywhere from $200.00 per square foot to the sky is the limit.

Sort of asking how long is a rope?

Good luck.

• Punky5656
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sooooo, I am back. What a learning process this has been. But progress is being made and we are thrilled.

Some updates to the plan........and of course up up updates to the budget. We have spent/committed $148,000 so far. I can give a breakdown of expenses if anyone is interested...we have had to delay the outdoor renovation for the time being.

Here is the work we have accomplished (or are going to accomplish). All of this is included in the $148K except where noted.

BATHS
    Rip out 3 and a half baths down to studs, remodel using Home Depot marble tiles in full baths (12 x 12 on floor, combination of 2x2, 6x6, and subway tile on walls. (to ceiling), Glass tile accents and borders. Slate floor in half bath.
    Kohler Archer tubs & toilets, etc.
    Restoration Gramercy Marble top vanity in two bathrooms, Restoration mirrors, Restoration Hardware lighting.
    Custom glass shower enclosure/door in master bath.
    Salvaged vintage sink and toilet in Full bath-YAY!, savings!.
    Kohler sink and toilet in half bath.

KITCHEN
    Rip out entire kitchen (14 x 17) to studs. Install BR-11 Wenge floor 5 inch width..
    Move plumbing and electric to accommodate new kitchen design.
    All Viking appliances: 36 inch stand alone freezer (floor model), 36 inch stand alone Fridge (floor model), 30 inch wall oven, 24 inch wall microwave with trim kit, Dishwasher, 36 inch cooktop.
    Shiloh inset shaker cabinets and center island painted polar white. Cabinets will consist of base cabinets, wall cabinets and additional set of glass cabinets above wall cabinets, to extend to ceiling. Minimal pull outs and special features (we couldn't afford any special features!!) Honed marble tops on counters and island, in either Imperial Danby or Carrara (budget reflects Carrara, but I love the milkyness of Danby). Elkay extra deep sink and moen faucet. Drawer pulls TBD (not budgeted yet).

Rip out laundry room to create mud room (create cubbies. shelves, etc). install slate floors in mudroom.

Take out all "stucco" walls and ceiling in den (down to studs). Replace with drywall and shaker molding.

Remove carpet in 4 rooms over garage (1000 sq ft) and replace with Koka Oak ($5 sq foot). There is only a subfloor under carpet. Install base molding.

Replace 8 windows with Anderson wood and vinyl windows.

Removal of 11 hollow core doors (30 x 80) and replace with Jeldwen 5 panel shaker doors. Hardware TBD (not budgeted).

Reconfigure of master Bedroom to Build walk in closet. Build walk in closet.

Installation of Central Air to entire House. (time consuming and frustrating!!)

Demolition of Basement walls/panelling to expose source of water coming in.
    Dig one side of foundation to reveal source of water getting in basement.....repair and replace dirt.

Removal of wall paper from first and second floor. Sanding, Skim coat (2 coats) plaster, sanding again.

I think that's all for right now. I am not doing any of the actual work, but I am exhausted nonetheless!!

• shalago
    10 years ago

We recently finished a similar renovation project in Central, NJ. However, it was relegated to the entire 1st flr to stairwell leading up to second flr with new panel molding, trim work, solid 5 panel shaker doors up thru 2nd flr hallway. 2 Upstairs full baths were previously remodeled prior to buying home with great amenities. We spent 1 year with architect finalizing renderings and waited 7 months after signing contract for the GC to have an opening. He is very busy and it was important for me to have a very reputable and established contractor (I learned following the exterior remodel). Our renovation inlcuded ripping down all 1st flr walls to the studs and reframing home to an open floor plan along with a 600 sq ft rear addition that extended length of home along first flr. This allowed us to relocate bathroom to front of house and combine the FR living space to kitchen. Mudroom now has a 5.5" exposure to kitchen with a custom desk area built in to match kitchen cabinets. The whole rear of house is now oversized Anderson windows/2 slider doors leading onto the new 1,100 sq ft techo blu block patio with built in granite island housing new grill, light peers, knee walls as well as new gas outdoor fire pit from RH. Also redesigned fireplace, added 1,600 sq ft of new 5" oak, water popped and custom stained flring and outfitted kitchen/bath etc with all new custom white painted cabs (shaker inset), granite, quartzite and marble, all new lighting, chandeliers, furniture, window coverings, etc. The construction costs were presented in a contract and we really had few surprises. The kicker is in the furnishings. The budget goes way above when you get to this area and is actually quite hard to know for sure until you get into the trenches. I'm talking backsplash, cabinet hardware, lighting fixtures, audio/video, window treatments, furnishings, etc. All projects including furnishings we have likely spent ~$350-$375K. I gotta say however, you need to hire the right contractor. We lived in the home with 2 little ones. We had many delays caused by the township as they were trying to force the builder to make many facets of this older home comply with current code (they went as far as rejecting certified letters from the architect - yeah it was horrible). I would say it took 1 full year to get to completion. Our builder was the one who would always make you feel calm and remind you that everything will be ok. Do not hire just anyone when venturing into a project of such magnitude.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Pinky,

Isn't there a question here? Or you just wanted to share. If you just want to share you're preaching to the choir.

• Punky5656
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to give an update. No harm there, eh?

• tracie.erin
    10 years ago

Punky - If you haven't started the baths yet - don't use marble tile INSIDE the shower or tub wet areas. Marble usually has iron deposits in it and when they get wet they rust and stain the marble :/

• User
    6 years ago

Thx Punky. I appreciate the detailed explanations, as I may be about to embark on a similar project.