Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corindu_gw

exposing brick wall

CorIndu
13 years ago

We've exposed the brick fireplace in the kitchen and now we want to expose the other side of the brick in the dining room. On the dining room side we have

9in baseboards (original) and we're not sure if we should expose right down to the bottom b/c it might wreck the boards. We thought about leaving the lower portion and putting on a wainscotting. Any ideas? I like the look of the whole brick exposed, but if it's going to disrupt the baseboards.....

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

You may not like the look of brickwork that was never intended to be seen.

There are often mortar squeeze outs and mortar on the brick face.

• CorIndu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We gently wire brushed the brick in the kitchen and it looks really good, but
    now to decide to go all the way down to the baseboards or not.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"We gently wire brushed the brick in the kitchen and it looks really good..."

I hope it was not a steel brush.

Using steel on brick transfers some metal to the brick surface and can result in rust stains developing.

• worthy
    13 years ago

You may not like the look of brickwork that was never intended to be seen.

I thought the brick chimney covered in plaster would look so rustically charming, I uncovered it. Then, to hide my mistake, I painted it.

• CorIndu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all....but no we didn't use a wire brush, luckily. And so far it is charming, there is only 1 brick missing and the hole where there must have been the pipe for the wood/coal stove. Any ideas on the other side though about the baseboards?