Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpet & wood on stairs - what can be done here?

Posted by tammyw (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:15

We are in escrow with a house and will immediately need to redo all the floors. We originally wanted to do hardwood throughout the house, but the floor guy came and said that to put new wood on the stairs, we'd have to hire a guy to come and remove the railing and put it all back, and that it can be incredibly expensive.

So now we are trying to figure out our options. It seems that to keep the project at a reasonable cost, we should just replace the carpet with another carpet. I thought I'd post to ask for advice.

Picture should be included here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpet & wood on stairs - what can be done here?

Live with it a while, then put a new "runner" on the stairs.

If that's the house, I wouldn't mess with the floors. They look GREAT!

o

lazygardens - thanks for your reponse! You're right, in the pictures the floors do look great (realtor photos are like that, lol!) In person, they are a mess though and have a lot of places in the kitchen that have buckled with water damage. They definitely need to come out. The carpets are also in awful shape with stains and bleach spots all over. We want to redo them before we move in because they are such a mess.

On the stairs currently, the wood is only on the left side, not on the right, so it's not really a runner we'd need to use, but actual carpet. Well actually, the bottom couple stairs have the wood on the right side, but that's it.

This post was edited by tammyw on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:40

o

You could refinish the existing stairs to match the new floors.

o

Making the stairs all wood will definitely be much more expensive than just replacing the carpet. If you're budget constrained, then you should just recarpet.

o

Thanks for all the advice! We really wanted to do wood, which would have been affordable for sure, except that our wood guy said he thought it would cost an Additional $15K to hire a stair guy (not including the cost of redoing the stairs in wood), and that's just way too much for me to justify!

o

" that our wood guy said he thought it would cost an Additional $15K to hire a stair guy "

If you are retaining the same architecture.

However, why not shorten the balusters and install a bottom rail, solving the problem for you, and the next owner.

o

snoonyb - Thank you for the response. Would you happen to have any pictures that would help illustrate what you are suggesting? I don't understand what you are proposing, but it sounds promising!

o

Here is a link to the code adaptation, photo no. 38 illustrates;

http://www.jself.com/stair/StairCodes.pdf

o

tammyw:

Who says you must put wood on the stairs and that the wood must be seamless?

You could probably come up with a solid surface, stone, or wood insert that could be easily installed without removing the railings.

o

Have you pulled up the carpet...what is under it? How are the balusters attached to the wood stair tread now?

o

Thanks for all the advice so far. What's under the carpet is what's typically under carpet on stairs (I wish they had done all hardwood stairs and just put carpet over top!)

I think we might just stick with carpet to keep the price on track. We are also redoing the kitchen completely, so this is going to get expensive. Adding a bunch more money into the stairs probably isn't wise.

o

I agree with Treb - I don't think it would be inappropriate to replace the treads that are under the carpet (I assume particle board - that's what mine are) with solid wood tread that fit between the wall and the wood ends. If you use a distinctly lighter colored wood for the treads, it will look intentional. I'm afraid trying to match the existing wood would be really hard, without refinishing the ends (and that would be expensive).

Carpet on stairs is going to get dirty, is hard to clean, and gets a lot of wear. Eventually it needs to be replaced Solid wood stair treads will last the life of the house. Wood may be more expensive up front, but I think it would be a good investment, especially if you plant to stay in the house a long time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here