Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Updating 1985 Rustic Ranch Exterior

Posted by NCBEAST (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 10:13

New here and trying to figure out a way to update the exterior of my house. Here is a link with the MLS...
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/104-Pineridge-Dr-Huntersville-NC-28078/6135935_zpid/
Yes we do have it for sale now but we really do not think it is going to sell so after August we would like to start updating the exterior. It is cedar siding and I do not think it has been stained since 1985 but looks pretty good. The trim and the porch railings which I think are just pine are the same color as the siding but am not sure if they were painted of stained like the siding. The trim around the doors, windows, garage doors and the windows and garage doors themselves are painted a much darket grey. I have recently added some cedar shutters just to make the house pop a little from the road since it sits back a good bit from the road. Have not put a finish on them as of yet.

We need to update the paint scheme to more modern but cannot really decide what to do. The house is in a neighborhood where most of the houses are two stories and all have white trim. We do not want to go with any brown shade and would like to stay with grey. My wife wants to stain the shutters to match the oak stained front door and porch floor and I am thinking a really light shade of grey like the gutters are now includding all of the trim and porch railings.

The only other option I can see to update it even more is to do all of the trim, railings and gutters in bright white but not sure it would look right on this style of house and with lots of trees surounding the house I would have to wash it all of the time to keep it white.

I was also considering removing the porch railings to make it more open looking. I have checked code and I can remove the front railings but would have to keep the sides due to one side is over 30". Later own would like to replace the porch columns with a stone base with stained cedar post.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Updating 1985 Rustic Ranch Exterior

Maybe it is just me, but the only thing wrong with that place is the lack of landscaping. See if the landscape/design people will give you some input--they aren't above telling you to rip off your porch if they feel it's needed. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: landscape design forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here