Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing edge style of formica countertops

Posted by ponderous1 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 10:03

I have formica kitchen countertops that I want to re-cover. They are in pristine condition but I want to go over them with a dark formica. The front edge has the 45 degree cut to it and I would like to change to a standard squared edge. Is there a way to remove and replace the front edge only?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing edge style of formica countertops

You'd have to cut off the front edge of the counter to remove the bevel. Depending on the existing overhang you might have to add material to make up for what you cut off.

o

So if I had to add material to make up for the loss would I just use a strip of lumber and screw it into the cut edge?

o

I actually learned that I would use glue and biscuits to attach the new strip.

Thank you for your help Mike...I appreciate it! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here