Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to vent

Posted by buzzz (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 9:57

We will be installing a microwave range hood in our kitchen. I want to vent it outside. It comes with two options. I can punch a hole on the top or on the back of the mwrange hood and duct it out of the house. It is up against an exterior wall so that makes it a lot easier. If I go straight out the back of the microwave range hood I will just have a 12 inch duct and that is it.

I have been told by an older and maybe wiser family member that if I go straight out the back I will have problems in winter with the cold air coming into the kitchen and making it cold. He is saying that the flaps on the vent covers and in the microwave range hood do not seal perfetly and then cause the cold to come back in. So what is the best way to deal with these issues.

We live in souther Ontario, Canada.
buzz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to vent

The vent is connected to the interior of the microwave---yes?

If so, that cold air will only intrude to the inside of the microwave---not a problem unless you leave the door open.

If the vent connect to the shell of the microwave, see if there is a way to seal the shell(case) exterior---contact the manufacturer of the microwave.

o

You're going to get cold air coming through the vent regardless of how you vent it, but if you use a quality exterior vent, it will be minimal. IMHO, it is always better to vent directly out the side exterior wall than to penetrate the roof.

o

"You're going to get cold air coming through the vent regardless of how you vent it"

I disagree with this statement. I used a spring-loaded backdraft damper in my duct, and have no such problem. Going straight through the wall, however, may make the duct run so short that there's no room for this extra piece of hardware.

o

What if I run the duct through the top of the mwrange hood and go 2 feet up and then out through the wall. This will put an elbow in the duct and may stop the cold from coming in. What do you think?

o

I'm not sure what you're imagining, but air can go around corners. The elbow won't do a thing except reduce the performance of your hood. You need to make it difficult for air to enter and continue through the pipe. The MW hood may have a built-in backdraft damper, which would be a good start. Look it over and see - is there a gasketed, spring-loaded flap on the back that is normally closed but that can be pushed open by the fan-driven air? Even if there is one, it would be good to supplement it with either an inline damper (Google "Fantech RSK6" to see what I mean) or an exterior hood with a gasketed, spring-loaded flap.

o

Here's a link-click on products,then household. It's a dryer vent that converts by use of a spring kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: energy saving vent

o
wrong website!

sorry,i gave you the wrong website.

Here is a link that might be useful: vent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here