Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Any advice on rebuilding porch stoop? Wood or bluestone?

Stacey Collins
12 years ago

My big project this summer is an exterior renovation including rebuilding two porches. The front is only a stoop, I guess it's called: Just a landing and one step, about 6' wide. It is currently made of crumbling brick and flagstone over cement.

This is a DIY project and we are very proficient DIY-ers but have a HUGE list of projects to complete this summer, so I do not have the luxury of being able to spend all my time and $$ on this one thing.

My main question is whether rebuilding a nice mortared bluestone stoop is waaaaaaaaaay more difficult and pricey than simply making a wood stoop on sonotube footings.

If I do the cement & bluestone, would I need to totally remove the old crumbling stoop that is there already and start from scratch? How hard is it? What are the steps involved? I wasn't able to find much on line. Oh- I'm in Maine, so frost heaving is definitely a consideration here.

Any advice appreciated: Thank You!!

Stacey

Comments (5)

• badgergrrl
    12 years ago

Another consideration is the curb appeal. What style of house is it? Is it an old house? If so, do you care if it is "historically accurate"?

• lesterd
    12 years ago

How deep are the existing footings on the crumbling concrete stoop? Our old footings, thanks to a 4 ft frost line, were that deep. Removing the step was a jack hammer project.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies! (I posted this over on "porches and decks" weeks ago and got none at all.)

Curb appeal is important, although I think either would look OK. Bluestone would definitely look better, but not if it's massively more complicated and expensive. The house itself is a 1950's bland ranch, which had been skewed (bad) "colonial" by a P.O. and we're reversing that. We live in a coastal Maine town and our reno is coastal/cottage with vaguely Craftsman accents to speak to the long low silouette and deep eave overhangs, as well as to the interior reno we're just finishing, which shares Craftsman attributes such as open living space, bringing the outdoors in, and lots of natural materials like slate, cherry, and other wood and stone. The exterior (currently) is structural colored cement block that looks like brick from a distance but isn't really, plus white vinyl from a P.O.'s early 90's addition. We'll be removing the vinyl and replacing with Kennebunker cedar shingles (oil-dipped in a natural grey-beige that looks like weathered cedar) and painting all the masonry in a similar grey-beige color. Side door is varnished fir, craftsman style. Cedar deck out back is long, low, sort of Asian. Garage will have cedar arbor/pergola overhangs on the garage doors. Landscaping includes cedar trellises, japanese maples, ornamental grasses, textured plantings, bluestone and slate.

The side porch (which we're also rebuilding) will be wood framed with Trex or cedar decking and simple square columns.

The front door is rarely used so it's mainly for curb appeal. There will be a flagstone path, fairly informal, just set into the grass, leading to it. It would look best in bluestone, but the framed wood would probably work as well.

I'm not sure how deep the existing steps are. It appears to be one solid mass of concrete and brick and stone. There used to be a major drainage issue in the front (since corrected) and they steps sank into the dirt over time. I don't know how deep they are. They SHOULD, of course, be 4 feet deep, but who knows. Yes, I expect it's a jackhammer project to remove them. So, theoretically, if we did wood, we could just build it all bigger than the existing mess, and leave that mess in place beneath the new porch (which will be higher anyway.) and that would probably be the easiest thing to do.

If we go with masonry, can we somehow go over the existing mess, or would we need to remove it all? What's the procedure for building and filling such a thing?

Existing steps (note that the "brick" cement block will be painted, and the door stripped and varnished with a new wood storm door. Landscape shrubs have been replaced with smaller ones):

• HazelJosephine
    12 years ago

I agree with staceyneil. Moreover, I agree with you ideas. Thanks!!

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

If the existing stoop has been stable since the drainage was rectified, and if you're going to keep the existing size and shape, covering what you have with a bluestone veneer would be the easiest, fastest, and least expensive.