Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshuy_gw

Closets by Design vs California Closets

joshuy
12 years ago

Hi guys,

I hope I can make this decision by Monday. My wife and I have gotten quotes from California Closets and Closets by Design. Prices are approximately the same (Closets by design is a couple of hundred dollars more). One big difference and one question for you all

1. Has anyone used closets by design or knows of their quality/reputation? I know nothing about them.

2. Closets by design is a floor based model so there is a bottom shelf/toe plate around the entire bottom of the walk in closet which looks nice (at least to us)-meaning more finished, cleaner lines (instead of having clothes hanging down, there's a defined bottom) which California closets would charge a lot more to add (>1 thousand). Is a bottom shelf more/less usable than just having floor space? Is it nice/annoying?

Pics of closet by design http://closetsbydesign.com/walkInClosets.php

California closets http://www.californiaclosets.com/custom-closets

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• sonepi
    12 years ago

I had a guest bedroom closet done by Closets by Design. I wanted it more for crafts and office configuration with lots of shelves and drawers. I had quotes from both California Closets (CC) and Closets by Design (CBD). Price wise they were similar and are constructed with similar materials. The CBD went to the floor and I like that for this particular closet because I wanted additional bottom storage shelves and a drawer. They did a great job and it definitely meets my needs.

Like the previous poster, they don't do anything to the walls after they tear it out. So I had them tear out the closet, hired someone to re-texture and paint the walls (I wanted color coming through) and CBD came back several days later to install the closet. I chose CBD because I felt my consultant for CBD was more experienced, designed a better closet and was more detailed. She gave me pros and cons of things I had considered and suggested. She was great!

I had both CBD and CC come out to give estimates when I was ready to do my Master Closet. Because of the unusual configuration of my master closet (not a square or rectangle shape), I did not feel that either company was able to give me what I wanted as far as functionality and specifics that I wanted in my Master Closet. CBD may have been able to fulfill my needs if my previous CBD designer was avaialbe, but the designer they sent measured incorrectly and was high pressure sales for a lackluster design that did not meet my needs.

There was one other company that I received an estimate from that was similar in construction to CBD and CC and their prices were half of what their costs were. If I had decided to go with a laminent look and wanted to remove my entire closet I would have chosen this company instead of CBD or CC since he did the best job in designing and pricing their products and services. If you are looking for that type of construction (laminate) you may want to look at other alternative companies.

I decided to hire a carpenter to build exactly what I wanted. The other thing with the Master closet was that I did not want a complete tear out because I liked some parts of my closet. For the Master closet the estimates I received ranged from about $8000 to $12K! The carpenter I selected built cabinets, shoe storage, dresser units and more using real wood. The cost was about $3500 and looks like it was original to the house. I love it and I am having the carpenter re-do other closets in my home. I am completely thrilled with the carpenters work and since my master BR closet, they have also reconstructed my walk-in pantry which is also phenomenal. I can't imagine using anyone other than my carpenter for my future projects. I think the garage will he next.

• ArleneMS
    11 years ago

I have some built-ins by Closets by Design (sewing room) and we want to remove them to take them with us to a new home. They are not coming up with answers for us (they're busy) so does anybody know how to get the 'un-install' started? We had them done in the Dallas area, so if any of you know of an installer, we will pay him/her to remove these. Thanks. I'm very frustrated with their lack of caring. Great product but poor customer service.

• Jazzy Howard
    5 years ago

Can anyone suggest any good cabinet makers? cabinet builder in the Michigan area?

• Sandra Albrecht
    3 years ago

Closets by Design was terrible. DO NOT USE THEM. I had trouble from day one and wished I had not hired them. Getting ready to do my pantry and I guarantee it won't be Closets by Design.

• Alissa Giuliani
    3 years ago

Who did you do with for your pantry, Sandra? I’m trying to figure out who to go with for a bedroom closet and my laundry closet. Thx

• Alissa Ozyilmaz
    3 years ago

Does anyone know if either company can custom build different lengths for drawers or do they have preset dimensions? This is basically the deal breaker for me on whether or not I spend extra money or wait for a local contractor. It’s just a small master reach in closet thats 4.6ft wide and 3 feet deep.

• Gina Spoto
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Alissa, CBD makes everything custom. This is especially important if working around windows and outlets. Even with their sale discounts, price is still high. My perimeter storage in guest room didn't even afford doors or drawers, just open shelves and hanging space, coming in at just over $4k. Also, lead time is several weeks from October 2020, in central Florida

• Charles M.
    3 years ago

Sandra, what kinds of problems did you have with CBD? We are contemplating getting cbd in our closet.

• HU-828113241
    3 years ago

You should make sure they give you a final clean design with all dimensions before you pay anything. They give that final design to the contractor. Our plans were a mass of hen scratches with missing dimensions- not surprisingly many of the delivered cabinets were wrongly sized. A big mess and lengthy delays and compromises for the sake of expediency and empathy for the contractor (who is a subcontractor to CBD).

• sanderson104
    2 years ago

We have had two closet systems installed Closets by Design. Both times we had positive experiences with the install; just be clear whether you want it to be notched in the back for baseboard, in my opinion it looks better to remove your baseboard so it’s not notched. It’s also worth it to add the baseboard and crown, and increase the height of the system to the ceiling. The salespeople do have a “poor mentality” to make sure they get the sale so you really have to push to add these extras. We are pretty handy, so the third closet system we did ourselves using Menard’s Dakota system for a third of the cost or less. It looks as nice and sturdy the rest.

• Dennis King
    2 years ago

We used CBD to do our office. They started the first part of March and took the balance of the payment when they showed up for the install. As of November 4 the office is incomplete and CBD is "missing in action-calls not returned. On one of my Facebook post, they did say we had been contacted which is not true. Save yourself a world of hurt and frustration by choosing someone different.

• randirotjan
    2 years ago

I will never work with CBD again; I am so horrified by the their service, craftsmanship, pricing, and project management. A horrible experience from start to finish. Save yourself the hassle and hire a real carpenter!

• Ellen
    2 years ago

I used CBD twice and they did an excellent job.

• Steven Peluso
    2 years ago

I used California Closets when l lived in N.J. They did a master and second bedroom, a linen closet and a very small hallway coat closet and l was very pleased how it came out.

• jawwilson
    9 months ago

closets by design designed my closet and now i cannot access my electrical outlet... love other aspects however. I called and complained but nothing they could do after install.