Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sound Reduction in Remodel

Posted by divotdiva (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 1:59

We are in the early design stages of a remodel to include bumping out our back wall to enlarge the master bedroom and bath. Our neighbors behind are renters and can be noisy, depends on who is renting. I would like to reduce the sound transmission from their property - there is already a mason/cement block wall between us but their property is higher so sound seems to deflect downward into our bedroom window. I understand there is a commonly used solution to install two sheets of drywall with green glue, perhaps with MLV ? to reduce the sound waves that may travel through the wall. I also know I will replace the single pane windows with double pane. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this ? I may also install the drywall / green glue on the inside walls between the master bedroom and the other rooms if it will improve my serenity / peace of mind not listening to teenagers.

Anyone with similar issue and solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sound Reduction in Remodel

2x6 construction with foam insulation plus the double drywall layer. It's the voids in the sheathing and window area that allow sound through. Foaming will fill those and air seal completely. It's NOT cheap. And then you may need to worry about fresh air exchanges in your master suite, especially when running a bath fan. You can't exhaust air from a room unless it's replaced in some way. That replacement will either come from the rest of the house that is less tight (supposing sufficienctly undercut doors) or it will come from an open window or a duct designed to supply replacement air. The latter is the better option, as you can then keep your sound cocoon intact, and also filter the incoming air for pollens, etc.

o

Thanks GreenDesigns. I will open windows often - it's just when they are noisy, I want to close them off.....for sleeping. I can easily open a door or window in the suite when running bath fan. Maybe I'll vent it toward their house along with my a/c so they can enjoy the fan noise. We're in Hawaii in builder grade suburbia, there is NO insulation in the house at all. No, not even the attic space. So your solution should definitely help.

o

Use some steel studs and double layers of 5/8 inch drywall.

Make sure you pay attention to ALL the gaps on the side facing them.
Even soffit vents in the bedroom area will allow sound in.

Calling the police might help when it gets loud during 'sleeping' hours.

o

thanks Brickeyee, my other neighbor is a police officer, LOL. I will make sure to pay attention to anything I can caulk!

o

Get windows with laminated glass.

I saw an episode on Holmes on Homes where he cut some holes in the wall so he could apply a dense soundproofing material to the back of the electrical outlets. Then, afterwards, he put up the extra drywall layer.

Sounds like an episode you need to watch.

o
Holmes

Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall of Sound

o

dense pack cellulose blow in insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here