Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sanding a fiberglass door

Posted by the_dude (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 10, 06 at 1:49

The preveous owners painted over our fiberglass garage door to match the trim (forest green - we like the color). This door has some texturing to it. The issue is that the paint is in bad need of a new coat, but I think I'm going to have to sand certain portions that have chipped, and left pretty deep divits. My question is, how should I sand this door? I don't think I want to get too rough with it, but the chipped areas need to be feathered at least. The area that is chipped is pretty large, so doing this by hand would be a nightmare. Handheld orbital type might not be too bad.

Question 2:

The Jam(?) around the garage door has weakened and frayed at the bottom edges (water damage from snow?). It was recommended to sand, removed excess fraying(sp?), and fill in gaps with Bondo*(sp?) or some other fiberglass derivative. Does this sound like a pretty decent method to repair? I realize it's just patching it up, but I thought if I sealed it real well, then painted etc, it would hold up ok.

Your input is appreciated.

Frank (El Noobi-Homeowner)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sanding a fiberglass door

The garage door jambs can be replaced with a wood composite material that will last a lifetime. It doesn't need painted if white is your color. It's paintable for other color choices. That's what I use when repairing outdoor structures like door jambs, window brickmolds, etc.

You can feather sand those chipped areas with #400 wet or dry sandpaper. Don't bear down hard, just lightly feather it out. The reason for the chips may be dirt under the paint.Be sure to scrub the door before proceeding. Since you're repainting them, I suggest a good water base bonding primer as your first coat. Glidden Gripper (ICI) or SW Bonding primer are both good choices. Finish with two quality top coats.

Michael

o

Hello Michael

Thanks for the help. I'll look into replacing the door jamb, but to be honest I hadn't considered this. It seems like a huge undertaking. The jamb seems to disappear beyond the ceiling, so I'm not sure exactly how high it goes. But if I were to replace it, would replacing say the bottom half be an option? Or, when you change the jamb, doe the entire side have to be replaced?

I'll be sure the surface is clean before I paint. I didn't realize dirt could do that much damage to a paint job - I always thought it was some hail storms we had last year. The dirt makes sense though.

Thanks again.

o

Yes, I've replaced half jambs many times. Just be sure the cut is square and flush fitted. You can use wood filler to fill the gap, sand smooth and it will disappear.

Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here