Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northlut

Removing walls in garage

Northlut
12 years ago

We're looking at potentially buying a house where the owners have added walls in the 3 car garage to make one of the car spots into a separate room. The garage door is still there and appears to be functional. Presumably the walls aren't structural, since they weren't there when the house was built.

Are there any major pitfalls we should be aware of in considering removing those walls? I assume removing stuff is a lot easier than adding it, so hopefully it wouldn't be too huge of a job. What kind of contractor would we look for to do that kind of project?

Comments (10)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Should be very easy to remove. I'm assuming since you are asking about a contractor that you have few or no handyman skills. If so, just be aware that this is a job that you could get charged a lot for because a contractor would realize you have no way of knowing how simple this is. If you have any friends with minimal skills, they should be able to help you do this in a day. Cosmetic things like repairing any damaged sheetrock on adjacent walls or ceilings will take longer, but would also be pretty simple. The only complication I can think of is if there is any electrical in the walls you plan to remove that might need to be terminated or re-routed...but, again, not all that difficult.

• Northlut
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We're not super handy, though we're not completely clueless and have done some stuff ourselves, like installing laminate flooring, changing plumbing fixtures and so on. But this is probably something we'd hire out, even if it's fairly simple. We've reached the point in our lives where we realize we hate doing this kind of stuff, and it's not how we enjoy spending our limited free time, so if we can afford to have someone else do it, we do. We've been much happier since coming to this realization!

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Make sure the building code has not changed. You must meet the latest code rather than the one in effect when the old work was done. The drawings for the work should be available at the building department and it should be part of the public record so just ask for it by the address.

You should also review this record to see what has been done to the house, who did it, and if permits were issued.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

I also rec. you do the work yourself. Disposal of materials is also another concern. Dumpsters can be pricey these days.

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

If there isn't any electricity that needs to be re-routed, just hire some neighbourhood teenagers to demolish it. They love destroying things.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Demolition involves risks. All people involved should be over 18 and have workman's comp insurance. This is not a repair or a replacement in kind so you should need a building permit and that should require these standard precautions. Talk to your insurance company before beginning the work.

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

Cutting the grass also involves risk but I would have no problem allowing a neighbourhood kid to do it for a few bucks.

I guess I just like living on the edge as an outlaw. :)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I don't care what Northlut does; I'm just trying to give him/her enough information to make an informed decision.

Most states specifically prohibit by law the hiring of anyone under the age of 18 to do the following work:

⢠Explosives
    ⢠Mining
    ⢠Logging
    ⢠Many power-driven machines
    ⢠Operating a motor vehicle
    ⢠Outside helper on motor vehicles
    ⢠Working with radioactive materials
    ⢠Meat packaging
    ⢠Manufacturing brick or tile
    ⢠Working with power saws
    ⢠Demolition
    ⢠Roofing
    ⢠Welding, brazing, and torch cutting
    ⢠Excavation
    ⢠Exposure to lead, benzene, asbestos, or silicon dioxide
    ⢠Work on machinery in canneries or seafood or poultry processing plants
    ⢠Ladders or scaffold above 10 feet
    ⢠Electrician work
    ⢠Any work in confined spaces
    ⢠Occupations requiring the use of respirators
    ⢠Preparing, serving or selling alcoholic beverages

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

And if it was demolition in the sense of bringing down a building, I would agree with you.
    Breaking up a couple sheets of drywall and a few 2x4s? Not a big deal in my mind and it doesn't fit with the rest of the items in that list even though it is still technically 'demolition'.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

The OP plans to use a contractor and is asking about possible "major pitfalls" to avoid. I suspect he/she has enough information to make a decision about teenage workers. Mindless arguing disrupts the forum.