Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiasu_gw

Siding question

kiasu
13 years ago

Hi,

We are in the midst of a remodel, with the usual jerks and bumps along the way. Of course something came up. We had 4 types of siding on our house. Vinyl with stucco underneath and metal with wood underneath. Our original plan was to remove the vinyl, metal and wood, fix the stucco and put hardiplank on the top story where the wood and metal was.

The vinyl and metal are off and it turns out the wood siding is in pretty good shape and it is redwood siding. Our contractor is offering to repair the wood siding and skip the hardiplank. In addition he will throw in the new treks deck we decided not to do because of cost. Hmmm.

From what I have read wood siding needs to be maintained, and repainted every 3 to 5 years, while hardyplank holds

paint better and will last up to 15 years? Clearly hardiplank is less maintenance in the short run, but how is it on insulation? I understand wood is pretty good. We are in Northern coastal California, so it is only wet/cold in December through February/March (except in el Nino years).

And wood cracks.

On the other hand the deck will last 20 years (if done right) and we can save to replace the siding at the next big iteration.

Any insights I haven't thought of?

Thanks

Comments (2)