Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srilunewgardener

Formal living to study.

srilunewgardener
12 years ago

Hi,

We are planning to convert our formal living to study by installing french doors. We have about 7ft opening and we are planning to install 48inch door (two 24inch prehung french doors) and extend the wall to cover the gap. Our handyman gave an estimate of $600 for installing the door, complete the wall and paint everything. We have to buy all the material. Please let me know if the price is reasonable?

Thank you,

Srilu

Comments (2)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

It sounds very reasonable to me. However, unless you like sidling through doors or having to open both doors to enter a room, it might be more functional to pt in two 30" doors, This way you would get a full door-width opening by opening just one door.

Does the price also include repainting the adjacent walls, or even rooms? If so, I would say it sounds almost TOO reasonable!

• srilunewgardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the reply. I do agree with you that 30inch door will be more functional. But, by installing a smaller door we are trying to get some wall space for a shoe rack. We don't have a spacious entry way in our house. As soon as we enter the main door we have formal living on one side and formal dining on the other side. We have a "No Shoe" policy in our house. We definitely need a shoe rack right next to the entrance.

He is not going to paint the entire room. He will just paint the wall he is going to build with the same color paint as the rest of the room.