Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best sliding door replacement?

Posted by jxbrown (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 0:03

I would like to replace some sliding doors including a ground floor master bedroom. What would be the best quality door; Andersen, Pella, or something else? What would be most secure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best sliding door replacement?

Marvin or Kolbe are two of the best residential sliding door system available. Andersen would be ok to decent and Pella would be at the very bottom of my list.

o

I was at a friends house this weekend commenting on a slider we put in over 25 yrs ago. It is a 6'w Andersen vinyl clad. It still looks pretty dam good and functions perfectly. I distinctly remember, myself and a few other friends were floored that he paid $1200 back then. You get what you pay for.
This door has seen a lot of use, it functions as the back door to a deck and pool.

o

Sorry if this is necroposting but I have the same question and am looking for some clarification on millworkman's answer.

I have a 72x80 opening to my patio that currently has an inward-swing patio door that's rusting out so I'm in the market for a a slider and I'm not overly fussy about looks/color/material. So when millworkman suggests Kolbe or Marvin is that applicable to just certain lines? I got a quote for a Integrity All-Ultrex slider starting at $1,100 which seems really reasonable but there are also the Infinity (All Ultrex) and Marvin (Aluminum) lines. Kolbe has five different lines ranging from what I assume are the cheapest (Latitude - vinyl) up to more expensive (Ultra - Aluminum).

So when Marvin/Kolbe are recommended over say Jeld-Wen, Pella, Anderson is there any necessary caveat for the cheaper lines?

(Yes, I just registered today, no I don't work for any of these companies. No axe to grind, just a lurker who is trying to get better value than I would find a big-box store. Read lots of threads, appreciate the insight on these forums.)

o

bdam:

Are you in a hurricane zone? That's a different world. Oceanfront? You need tinted turtle glass to contain your light pollution. Check everything.

o

I'm in Michigan; no hurricanes or sea salt for me.

o

Marvin Ultimate (either all wood or wood clad extruded aluminum), Integrity or Infinity (both Ultrex ((fiberglass)), or Kolbe Ultra (either all wood or wood extruded aluminum clad) are what I would recommend as the top choices in my opinion. Anything Jeldwen or Pella run the other way, Andersen depending on the series is ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here