Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ang76_gw

Need help w/ tile-carpet transition (pics)

ang76
17 years ago

Hi! I usually post on the home decorating area, but I have a remodeling question for you guys. My hubby... well... meant well, and decided that while I was on a business trip, he would go ahead and put down a slate floor that I had been trying to locate a contractor to handle.

He did a really good job of laying the tile down evenly, etc. -- even thought to remove the quarter round and allow expansion gaps. Unfortunately he didn't think about the transition from the tile to the carpet.

{{gwi:1527196}}

When we built this house linoleum was where the tile is now, so it was glued down under the metal "transitioner" (no idea what you call them). It's one of those things that grabs the carpet, then has a metal bend or "crest" to cover the grips. The tile is adhered and would be a major b**** to pull up.

What can we do?

A friend suggested buying screw-down transition, and just screwing it down through the metal so it basically just "covers" what's there now. But that leaves big holes or plugs visible. Are there any other options that relatively new DIYers can manage?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• ang76
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We will not be grouting until we know what to do. :)

• ron6519
    17 years ago

I don't understand what you want to do. Currently you have a carpet bar covering the carpet/tile transition. The bar is on top of the ceramic tile and covering the carpet. Do you want to remove this brass item and replace it with something else?
    Why would you need to remove the tile?
    Ron

• sierraeast
    17 years ago

The metal isn't hard to pull up and can be replace with a metal stop that instead of the decorative metal showing, the carpet tucks over and under, leaving only a carpet to tile edge.You wont have to pull tile. Im sorry that i dont know the name of this metal, but if you ask over at the flooring forum, there are pros there that will steer you in the right direction.The metal has the same function as what you have now, the difference is that the carpet covers over the metal and is the only edge you will see, carpet to tile.

Plus you wont need to grout!

• ang76
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"I don't understand what you want to do. Currently you have a carpet bar covering the carpet/tile transition. The bar is on top of the ceramic tile and covering the carpet. Do you want to remove this brass item and replace it with something else? Why would you need to remove the tile?"

Hi, ron6519 -- sorry - I must not have explained very clearly. We don't have any ceramic tile. We pulled up linoleum and put slate tile down to replace it. But the metal piece is not on top of any ceramic tile at all. It's not on top of anything other than the subfloor. It butts up against the tile, with a slight gap. I don't think I have to pull the tile up (it is something that someone at Lowe's recommended we do... I was more looking for confirmation that we DON'T need to).

Thanks, Sierraeast, I will try to find the flooring forum. There are so many forums here, that I think I have the right one but I guess I don't. Thanks though. :)

• sierraeast
    17 years ago

Carpet stores will carry the metal that i mentioned.I worked a short stint for a carpet/flooring installer and never knew the trade name of it which would help.tell the rep at the store or ask to talk to an installer,if available, and describe your situation. The metal is not pricy and comes in 4" lengths as i remember. You can get it in longer lengths as well.It will give you a nice carpet edge over the tile, no grout, no pulling the tile.

• happyfeet_msn_com
    17 years ago

you need to have a professional remove the metal and put down new tackstrip and strech the carpet up to the tile and tuck it right to the tile that would be the best way the metal somebody posted earlier is z-bar and it is garbage but make sure they put latex in between the tile and the tackstrip to ensure that your carpet wont fray out down the road

• jaybird_in
    17 years ago

Our carpet butts right up to our tile like john doe describes. There was no problem for 19.5 years. We just re-carpeted and did the same thing. It continues to be a really nice appearing edge. The metal edge comes up easily with a flat-edged screwdriver, but the carpet people will be needed to stretch and properly tackstrip the carpet down.

• davidandkasie
    17 years ago

you MAY have to have someone stretch the carpet, but you may not. we jsut had tile put down and the old transitions were removed fromt eh door ways. we simply tiled an inch or so in, put donw the new strips, and pulled the carpet by hand onto them. since the carpet was not pulled loose anywhere but the door, it was still tight and went right back in place. one word of warning, tack strips do not like to go back into old concrete. put some liquid nails or other construction adhesive on the back, then nail them down.

in my case, i don't mind if the carpet is a little loose(evne though it currently is not), as we are ripping it out later this year or next spring and putting in hardwood or more tile.