Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

renovation estimators?

scrappy25
12 years ago

Hi, I spent a year on plans to enlarge the kitchen and add a 3 season porch over a basement . Scope increase led to plans for a 12 x 30 addition on the back of the house for the kitchen and family room (would need a new support beam). Plans for an adjacent 3 season porch and unfinished basement behind the dining room grew to 18x14 feet. Middle of 3 competitive bids was $160k NOT including cabinets, appliances, and installation. (I think about 60k of that was for the sunporch/basement). Also does not include the window costs for the 3 season porch. This was a shock to me but I notice that some posters here are really good at projecting costs (LWO, Hollysprings, among others).

Excited about prelim work with new architect who is suggesting a 5x18 foot bumpout just for the kitchen/eating area (no new support beam needed), either cantilevered or on a crawl space. sunporch and basement dimensions would sty the same . Is that enough information to estimate the change in costs with the preceding information?

Electrical and HVAC has already been upgraded to handle the new addition so no worries there.

thanks!

Comments (2)

• User
    12 years ago

A bumpout will still need to transfer the load carried by that wall, which will still need a beam. It can be an invisible beam in the attic or one hanging down into the space. Even though you've done the electrical upgrades to the panel, a new kitchen still requires a lot of wire to be run for dedicated circuits as well plumbing changes for the bumpout, HVAC---which would also include creating ventilation.

The biggest determinant of construction pricing is location, which you have not given. And the biggest cost of any addition is in the first few feet of it. You have to tie the old to the new. Going larger is actually less costly per square foot because the cheaper space average out with the more expensive spaces. The kitchen is the most expensive room in the home to renovate. And you just took off the cheaper rooms from the previous project. I would not expect this small addition to save that much cost. Where it will save would be the fact that you aren't adding any basement area. Even though your project has been basically cut in half, I wouldn't expect the pricing to be cut in half. More like 5/8 to 3/4 of the original quote.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks hollysprings, I appreciate your information. I am in Baltimore, Maryland, moderate construction costs. Upper middle class neighborhood of well kept garrison colonials, split levels, and some dutch colonials ranging between 2000-2500 SF. Most homes have aluminum or vinyl siding. Home prices between 400k to 550k. Very middle of the road.

I actually meant that the plans for the screened porch and basement underneath would stay unchanged (basement would still be added). The main difference is the change from a 12x30 bumpout to a 5x18 bumpout. (360 sf to 90 sf). The bumpout could be on a crawl space but I would imaging that would be about the same cost as cantilevering it with the support beam.

OK maybe the cost savings is not enough. What about if I just add a breakfast room 10x10 on a crawl space outside the current eating area using an opening where a current double window is? Kitchen would be reconfigured for the existing kitchen space including part of the existing eating area.