Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Ques re AIA contracts and modifying them and copyrights

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm a homeowner and doing a kitchen remodel. I do not have an architect involved for the contract administration part (for a variety of reasons to long to mention here).

I've read postings on this forum that say something to the effect that one can obtain the AIA contracts (say A107) and modify them to meet one's needs. One posting used the words The AIA (Architectural Institute of America) has standard contracts that you can buy and modify with the help of a local lawyer to suit your particular situation.

I'm happy to buy the AIA contract. My question is about the "mechanical" part of the modification and the AIA copyright. How does one modify it and not infringe the copyright?

I'm trying to understand what's meant here when posters say to modify the AIA contracts, or use clauses from them in your own contract, with respect to the whole copyright aspect. Especially since I know I'll have to replace wherever it says "architect" with "Owner" (me)

I mean, does "buying the contract doc from the AIA and modifying it to fit my project" mean I should:

- Copy the language and paste it into a new Word file, and global replace "architect" with "Owner"?

- Keep the AIA words and strike the word "architect" with a pen and initial the margin and attach an Addendum that says "globally, replace "architect" with "Owner"?

- Contact the AIA and ask them to give me permission to copy and paste, after buying the license to use the contract?

My only other alternative for this project is to write a contract from scratch, and even in that case, I'd like some proven text to use as a starting point.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling