Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellyni_gw

Advice on replacing sliding glass doors on a stucco home.

ellyni
13 years ago

I just bought a new home and the sliding glass doors are in very poor

condition. I am on a budget so I would like to try to replace them myself

but have absolutely zero experience. I am, however, a very competent

person (i also have a competent fiance to help) . :)

I have done a ton of research on replacing sliding glass doors and feel

really good about how to go about doing it. However, most tutorials and

information I find is focused around homes that have siding. Mine is

stucco. I'm unsure at this point what the difference might be between

removing and installing a sliding glass door on a stucco home versus a

home with siding. Any advice, tips or direction would be greatly

appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments (7)

• don92
    13 years ago

You might also want to check out patio and french doors. They tend to be tighter and for resale they help. Measure the width outside from stucco to stucco and go shopping for a door whose RO is smaller than that. Then add the trim of your choice to either go over the stucco or butt to it. The inside is much easier to deal with. Be carefull removing old door so that you do not disturb stucco.

• ellyni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are actually considering installing french doors instead and I have done a ton of research into installing them as well. We are still debating. The rooms are small and I am concerned about space with the doors opening.

Regardless though, I guess my concern is wondering how to remove the old ones. I don't see any visible screws to be able to remove it. There is no trim on the doors. Do I need to cut away some of the stucco to remove it? Did they add stucco to the frame after installing it?

• ellyni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sierraeast, Thank you for this information! This helps a lot!

• metaxa
    13 years ago

Sierra has it.
    (except we just use pawn shop circ saws with diamond blades...surprising how long they last)

What we do is cut the stucco away far enough on both sides and top so we can install the door, sliding or french or patio and weather seal, tape, gasket, etc properly and install a backer strip to attach the new trim. I don't like that backer going over the flange.

so the final, outside, new trim sits proud of the stucco, not flush.

Of course this depends on how all the rest of the windows look and how you want it to look. I think we get a better weather tight situation by taking a larger strip out and building it back.

• sierraeast
    13 years ago

Thanks Metaxa, I left out the most important part, flashing/sealing before trimming out. It's difficult at best but also a caulking that is compatible with the flashing material can help seal the gap wghere the stucco cut meets the flashing. This is especially important if the doors are exposed. The method I mentioned also has the trim proud ,(over the stucco), and fastened to the door jambs. Countersunk tapcons can be used to fasten through the stucco and an insurance bead of caulking, (I've had good luck with dynaflex 230), around the perimeter of the trim.

Set the doors/ jambs, self adhere flshing along both sides first, then lap the upper header peice over, caulk both inside edges, trim, insurance caulk the perimeter trim outside and where it meets the jamb, primer and two top coats paint.

Thanks again Metaxa, flashing /sealing it all up is definetely the most important part of this project. Good advise/catch!

• pl28
    11 years ago

I know this is a pretty old post but recently I replaced an old sliding door where I have to take out the stucco to remove the old frame.

After putting in the new door with the old stucco removed. I was wondering what material do I need to add to cover the exposed studs. Should I add flashing tape? or just put some lath (black paper with wire) anything before I put in new stucco in to fill back to the new frame?

Sorry for all the questions, this forum gave me the courage to proceed and it is my first big project so I hope I don't mess it up.
    Thanks in advance
    -Pete