Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drywall Compounds - Pre-mixed or Powder

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 22:26

Which do you think is better.

In the past I have always used premixed. But I never did big jobs so the unused portions got ruined (Hardened or got lumps/chunks).

With my current project I tried the easy sand. I liked it but it's kind of a pain, because of having to mix it in small batches (I am not a pro, so I don't try to do too much at a time) and cleaning out the bucket each time.

Is there any real benefit to using one or the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drywall Compounds - Pre-mixed or Powder

I use 40 and 5 in a 2/1 ratio mixed in the mud pan. A quick rinse in a 5gal pail of water and you are ready.
I also use food coloring to keep track of the different coats.

o

The bucket stuff works by drying out and the powder stuff sets up like concrete does. You can recoat the powder stuff a multiple of times in the same day.

o

>>Posted by snoonyb (My Page) on Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 22:53
>>I use 40 and 5 in a 2/1 ratio mixed in the mud pan. A
>>quick rinse in a 5gal pail of water and you are ready.
>>I also use food coloring to keep track of the different
>>coats."

I think my problem was I got 20 (was a little too optimistic about my abilities). I had to do in small batches or it would set up in the pan. I was thinking of getting 90 this time. Great tip about the food coloring.

o

If you are not very experienced use the 240.

Setting is great for smaller jobs since you can use 20 minute compound and get multiple layers done in a single day, instead of having to return day after day with premixed mud.

Durabond is just as hard as real lime plaster, so make sure you now how to use it before trying.
Sanding it is almost impossible.

Easysand can be sanded if required, but the down side is a softer material that is more easily damaged.

o
reRE: Drywall Compounds - Pre-mixed or Powder

Another advantage of the setting compounds when mixed correctly is minimal shrinkage during hardening.

The pre-mixed WILL shrink as the water dries out and it hardens.

If you mix the setting compound about as thick as peanut butter (smooth if you please) it will barely shrink even in very thick layers (like an inch or more fr plaster repairs) and none in normal drywall work.

If you have good technique drywall fasteners (and their shallow dent) can be covered with a single application.

Taped joints can be finished with only two coats.

o

Use boxed topping or TNT for the final coat, it makes thr surface harder.
"I had to do in small batches or it would set up in the pan."

Just increase your speed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here