Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nirvanamike06

Replacing Siding, Certainteed or Hardiplank?

nirvanamike06
11 years ago

My house was built in the early 80s and has cedar siding with nothing underneath it but tar paper and insulation. I walked around and added up the cost to replace all the wood that is cracked, has knots fallen out, woodpecker and termite damage, and rotten. Then ill have to clean/brighten the rest and restain it. I would also like to add some sheathing behing it. Just the cost of replacing the damaged siding will be about the same as replacing all of it with cement siding. I really like the look of cedar and would like to keep the look but not have all the maintenance of cedar.

I like what I see as far as the Certainteed goes. The pictures of the cedar or maple prefinished siding looks great and it saves me alot of work by not having to stain it. I have also heard they are alot easier to get matching stain for knicks, chips and trim for that the hardi. The problem is ive heard alot of people have to pull it all off because of problems. Ive read that they have all been resolved but I havent read of anybody putting it up recently. I live in humid south east texas and I dont wanna spend a ton of money to have to do it all again. Does anybody have any pictures of their homes done in the Certainteed cedar or maple?

I like the hardi plank but it is a little bit more than the Certainteed and I dont see any color that looks like cedar and I dont care for much of their color plus series so I would have added work and expense to paint it. I havent heard of to many problems with hardiplank so im wondering if I should just give up on a cedar look and go with a more trusted product.

I have looked a little bit at the LP SmartSide but I wonder how it will hold up in my climate and how often Ill have to repaint it?

Comments (7)