Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Siding, Certainteed or Hardiplank?

Posted by nirvanamike06 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 22:25

My house was built in the early 80s and has cedar siding with nothing underneath it but tar paper and insulation. I walked around and added up the cost to replace all the wood that is cracked, has knots fallen out, woodpecker and termite damage, and rotten. Then ill have to clean/brighten the rest and restain it. I would also like to add some sheathing behing it. Just the cost of replacing the damaged siding will be about the same as replacing all of it with cement siding. I really like the look of cedar and would like to keep the look but not have all the maintenance of cedar.

I like what I see as far as the Certainteed goes. The pictures of the cedar or maple prefinished siding looks great and it saves me alot of work by not having to stain it. I have also heard they are alot easier to get matching stain for knicks, chips and trim for that the hardi. The problem is ive heard alot of people have to pull it all off because of problems. Ive read that they have all been resolved but I havent read of anybody putting it up recently. I live in humid south east texas and I dont wanna spend a ton of money to have to do it all again. Does anybody have any pictures of their homes done in the Certainteed cedar or maple?

I like the hardi plank but it is a little bit more than the Certainteed and I dont see any color that looks like cedar and I dont care for much of their color plus series so I would have added work and expense to paint it. I havent heard of to many problems with hardiplank so im wondering if I should just give up on a cedar look and go with a more trusted product.

I have looked a little bit at the LP SmartSide but I wonder how it will hold up in my climate and how often Ill have to repaint it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Siding, Certainteed or Hardiplank?

Go with Certainteed. My Hardi is delaminating.

o

My girlfriend had to have all her Certainteed fiber cement siding replaced last year. It was less than 4 years after install. It actually started cracking and shrinking within the first two years. She was compensated by Certainteed but it was a hassle to get them to do so and an even bigger hassle to have it all ripped off and redone. She found out that there was a class action lawsuit because of issues with the product. They say the have corrected those issues but I suggest you check into it carefully.
My Hardi plank siding as been up for several years with no problems

o

man that doesnt help much..... 2 responses and both complete opposites. What do you mean by delamintating?

Hmmm I wonder about the certainteed though, supposably that was a problem they had around the time you say she had it installed. Id like to find somebody to who has installed brand new stuff in the last year or so. Did your girlfriend has certainteed reinstalled on her house?

o

We put Hardiplank on our shed nearly 11 years ago and it is still perfect.

o

Certainteed would have covered both the materials and labor if she reinstalled their product. My friend wanted nothing to do with Certainteed after her experience with their product. She settled for just the cost of materials and paid out of her pocket to have someone install Hardi Plank instead.

o

Here is a link to a post about Hardi peeling-delaminating.
I am currently replacing areas of fiber cement with Kleer trimboard.
My Hardi fnally peeled and split to the point it had to be removed.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0715472023112.html?75

o

My Certainteed has numerous cracks. Certainteed replaced the cracked boards but refused to pay for labor since it happened after the two year mark. We reported the cracks just after the 2 yr. mark.

My husband doesn't trust any fiber cement product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here