Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting basement remodel process-Help with some q's please!

Posted by vinudev_liny (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 22:05

We are starting to get estimates for our basement remodel. As this is our first remodel, we are still learning things as we go. After reading many posts here, this is what I think the process should be like:-

Make a floor plan and list of requirements.
Ask for referrals, look up ratings, select contractors
Interview them on a common list of questions on their prior experience, current standing, payment schedule, references etc.
Get rough estimates.
Choose one(or more?) contractors who satisfy our requirements.
Come up with detailed plans-for flooring, electrical, plumbing, appliances, heating.
Ask for detailed line by line Bid
Compare bids and pick one.
Sign contract with line by line price.
Get plans approved by town.
Start handing over checks.

Am I missing something till we get to this stage? I know the important part of overseeing the work and communicating any changes will follow with the work.

Does anyone have a list of questions to ask the GC at first meeting handy? Are there model bid forms and contract forms that I can look at to get an idea?

From what I understand in this area, home owners just go by what the GC says. I, unfortunately am the type who will research every little bit of work. I don't want to be anal about it and get in their way but at the same time, I also want make sure the contractors are doing what is right. How do I balance this? Having everything in writing beforehand?

Do you wait till you pick a GC and find the store he likes to go to before ordering fixtures( We are talking of mainly bathroom fixtures-shower, toilet, vanity, faucets etc).
We haven't yet decided on the exact style and colors for the tile. By when do you have to have the choices factored in? by the bid stage? As I am sure the numbers can vary quite a bit on what we choose.
Any other suggestions for us?
Sorry this is so long
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting basement remodel process-Help with some q's please!

You need to pick a budget number that you expect to spend and then do a little research on what that number might be able to get you in your area. Don't be shocked if it gets you MUCH less than you expect. Your scope of work is most limited by that budget. Pretty much no one has an unlimited budget and there are needs, wants, and like to haves in every project. So you need to priortize the items you hope to accomplish using need, want, and like to have.

Plumbing and electrical are needs and are usually the most expensive of the labor. They're the most hidden by the final finish work that homeowners over emphasize. But the hidden stuff is actually more important than the surface finishes. Surface finishes can be upgraded later. Decide you want to spend your money on the permanant unchangeable and invisible needs of the remodel as a priority. Those are the things that can cost you twice if you have to reopen walls later to add them.

One example of a now/later choice is your bathroom. If there is no existing roughout for that bathroom, the plumbing to be able to create that bathroom is going to be pretty spendy. So installing a $100 big box toilet now can help you with meeting your budget. And you can replace that with a $700 specialty toilet at a later point.

o
RE: Starting basement remodel process-Help with some q's please!

Thanks, live_wire_oak! I think we have a rough idea as to what it will cost-hopefully we won't be too surprised by the estimates.
We are definitely finding out what our wants and needs are-over the weekend we visited a high-end plumbing supply company and I almost fell down looking at the prices of some of the items! I am sure I am going to be doing a lot of internet hunting.
Any other suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here