Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Starting basement remodel process-Help with some q's please!

vdinli
13 years ago

We are starting to get estimates for our basement remodel. As this is our first remodel, we are still learning things as we go. After reading many posts here, this is what I think the process should be like:-

Make a floor plan and list of requirements.

Ask for referrals, look up ratings, select contractors

Interview them on a common list of questions on their prior experience, current standing, payment schedule, references etc.

Get rough estimates.

Choose one(or more?) contractors who satisfy our requirements.

Come up with detailed plans-for flooring, electrical, plumbing, appliances, heating.

Ask for detailed line by line Bid

Compare bids and pick one.

Sign contract with line by line price.

Get plans approved by town.

Start handing over checks.

Am I missing something till we get to this stage? I know the important part of overseeing the work and communicating any changes will follow with the work.

Does anyone have a list of questions to ask the GC at first meeting handy? Are there model bid forms and contract forms that I can look at to get an idea?

From what I understand in this area, home owners just go by what the GC says. I, unfortunately am the type who will research every little bit of work. I don't want to be anal about it and get in their way but at the same time, I also want make sure the contractors are doing what is right. How do I balance this? Having everything in writing beforehand?

Do you wait till you pick a GC and find the store he likes to go to before ordering fixtures( We are talking of mainly bathroom fixtures-shower, toilet, vanity, faucets etc).

We haven't yet decided on the exact style and colors for the tile. By when do you have to have the choices factored in? by the bid stage? As I am sure the numbers can vary quite a bit on what we choose.

Any other suggestions for us?

Sorry this is so long

Thanks in advance

Comments (2)