Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to select the insullation in the attic?

Posted by coody (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:19

I plan to have my unfinished attic finished. The existing insulation is R13. I was told to replace it with R30 on the wall and R19 on the sloped ceiling. Selection of the R19 on the ceiling is because the baffle will be installed. The R30 will probably be too thick against the baffle. Does it make sense using the R30 on the wall and R19 on the sloped ceiling or the R13 installation is good enough? See a picture of the existing insulation here. Thank you for your answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to select the insullation in the attic?

R13 or 15 is usually adequate for walls. If it were me I would put R38 on the flat ceiling and sister onto the sloped rafters what was needed to accommodate R 38.

o
RE: How to select the insullation in the attic?

It depends on your location and whether or not an energy code applies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here