Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
8mpg

Insulation question for 60's house in Texas

8mpg
11 years ago

Well, we are hopefully going to close soon on a 60's ranch style house. We will be gutting the entire thing. The exterior will stay the same (brick). While the sheetrock is down, we are planning on insulating the exterior walls and the roof. Im looking for recommendations on insulation type and being cost efficient.

The a/c unit is in the garage which will be converted into a laundry room and theater. This will bring the a/c and furnace into cooled space. Not being able to sheet foam the exterior (due to the brick), Im stuck between spray foam (expensive), fiberglass batting, or a DIY sheeting/expanding foam combo. See the link below for the video on doing DIY sheet foam with expanding foam.

Any suggestions on the best approach?

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video on foam

Comments (4)

• worthy
    11 years ago

The method in the video is inapplicable to a brick home. So you're left with insulating from the interior.

The most economical approach would be to blow in dense pack cellulose through holes made in the interior walls. However, if there is already insulation in the walls, this may not be possible.

In the video, incidentally, the host is overlooking some very large sources of air leakage--everywhere those multiple lengths of dimensional lumber are stuck together, which should all be caulked. In fact, if what's portrayed is indicative of the whole home, the portion of insulated wall to window and framing is so low, I'd bet the whole wall R Value isn't much improved. Only if the siding was being replaced anyway would the expenditure be worthwhile.

For the attic, I'd choose blown cellulose, certainly not fg batts, which at best will be poorly installed.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 22:50

• 8mpg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Worthy, thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would pop in.

After doing more and more research it seems like spray foam and sealing the vented roof may be the best option, then doing blown in cellulose or careful fiberglass batting installation in the exterior walls.

Found this to be a good video on installing fiberglass batting.

edit/// after reading http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-102-understanding-attic-ventilation/ I found that they show Dallas Texas (my area) to be mid humid. They show fiberglass batt but it needing a rigid foam sheating under the roof to prevent condensation. Without redoing the roof, sprayfoam may be a bad option due to the decking needing to possibly be changed later on. Batting or blown in cellulose would be an option for unvented attic but the tigid sheating will need to be added to keep if from getting moist. Im really not sure what do do.

Here is a link that might be useful: fiberglass batting install

This post was edited by 8mpg on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 23:13

• worthy
    11 years ago

As the BSC document notes, unless you have a very complicated roof system or cathedral ceilings--or the HVAC were in the attic, which you said it's not-- there's no reason to go to the expenditure of converting to an unvented attic. Just air seal the ceiling and pile in the insulation. My preference is blown cellulose, but properly installed, other materials will work too.

Your linked video is a perfect illustration of the problem with using fg batts. Not one in a thousand installers is going to take the care that the presenter is taking. Measuring each bay!! Never happen.

• 8mpg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the reply. Im sure not a single contractor would take the time. Fortunately for me, I am doing all the work myself and can take the time and effort.

The roofline is very simple. I will definitely take your advice and not waste the money. Sounds like blown in cellulose over the ceiling it is. Also will be doing air tight drywall for the walls and ceiling. This will allow for a little more spending on the windows which should really help.