Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cement bonded particle board

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 20:42

I was at a trade show this past weekend and was introduced to cement bonded particle board. Two brands that produce this are Versaroc and Amoroc (may be more). Basically, what they're saying is it's moisture resistant and fire resistant, among other things. I'm looking at it for a potential commercial application where we layer drywall (for fire block) and then plywood (for exterior walls). I need to do the calculation on the labor savings and whether it merits the higher material cost.

But my question to you construction experts: is this a product that meets code and is widely accepted as a substitute for drywall or would I end up having to deal with inspectors who don't know or trust the stuff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cement bonded particle board

What building code applies to the project?

If it is the IBC, the inspector will want to see the ICC Evaluation Report. There is one for Viroc (Legacy Report #94-61.01) which is linked below. You might have to call the other manufacturers to see if they have ICC ES reports.

Here is a link that might be useful: ES Legacy Report

o
RE: cement bonded particle board

Anyone can say
"moisture resistant and fire resistant" about their product. It's meaningless.
Resisting is a meaningless concept. It just means this: at first, it doesn't show much when moisture penetrates it, but that later it will rot as much as any other organic material. And, at first it doesn't allow fire to affect it much, but that later it will burn. This is why I'm saying that its meaning is useless, and therefore meaningless.

It may still be a wonderful product that you might decide to buy. It might satisfy the authorities. It might be what you think it should be. I'm not against it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here