Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Floor, New Trim?

Posted by MarenAL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 20:41

I am getting quotes for replacing our vinyl floor with porcelain tile in the kitchen/hall/half-bath/and laundry room.

Here is my question: is new trim (quarter round) necessary? It seems like it is unneeded for the most part, unless the trim is in bad shape. And since I'd have to prime and paint the new trim white to replace the old, why couldn't I just repaint the old trim so it looks new again?

I suppose in the long run over the entire cost of the floor it is a pittance but it seems like the main argument for replacing it is that it's easier to rip out than to take it up carefully for reuse. And if that's the issue, I can remove it myself. Am I missing something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Floor, New Trim?

The easiest way to cover the cut edges is with 1/4 rnd. and is typical with a modern or bullnose base. It would be a different story if you have a 711 or mpre decorative base.

o

The labor involved for an installer to remove, clean, repaint, and reinstall old trim is usually much more expensive than simply painting/installing new trim.

If you do the work, cost is not a factor. In fact, reinstalling the old trim should be less expensive, since there is no cutting/fitting necessary.

o

Thanks folks. I think I could try to save the trim but probably not worth the trouble and opportunity cost.

o

If the trim is brittle or glued in place it could break when you try to remove it.

o

MarenAL:

Here in southern Florida, one of the worst details I see is tile on concrete run up to baseboard then grouted. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

I would pull the baseboard, install Ditra, install tile and grout leaving a gap between the edge of the tile and wall. Cover the gap with the recycled or new baseboard. Make your tile persons follow the manufacturer's installation instructions, I don't care how long they've been doing it their way.

o

I never manage to get baseboard off without banging it up or breaking it, so I save a lot of irritation by planning to replace to from the start. (Unless, of course it is particularly interesting or historic, or otherwise hard to replicate.

In our current house the baseboard was installed before the hardwood floor and the nails are hidden behind the hardwood. It's a nightmare to get out. Now I'm just sawing it off flush with the floor. (It's a painted, simple '50's shoe molding that will be replaced with a ~8" tall cherry Craftsman style baseboard.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here