Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreyamelia

Please help. Roof style? (Hip or Gable) for addition.

audreyamelia
11 years ago

Thank you in advance for your opinion. We're adding a 1 story kitchen to our 2 story Hip Roof House. It has 10/12 pitch and a matching garage with the same roof.

My dilemma: matching the pitch means we'll have to replace a window in the upstairs with with a much smaller one.

If I lower the pitch does it look weird? If I'm changing the pitch should I change to a gable roof so it is less obvious?
I've always read that you need to match roof styles. My husband says you won't even notice either way. I'm just not sure. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roof style album

Comments (5)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Without seeing your existing house and the proposed addition it's impossible to give any sort of considered opinion. Can you post drawings of the existing and proposed addition?

In general, one will achieve much greater unity and harmony by maintaining whatever type of roof shape and pitch they may have on the existing house. Of course, the world is full of exceptions to every rule, but if you are in doubt, stay with what you have.

Good luck on your project.

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

1st. Have you been made aware that changing the size of the window may affect the required light and ventilation for that space, and has that been addressed.
    Can you, architecturally, change the direction of the ridge?

• audreyamelia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The link is to a photo album of renderings I made with software to show the different options. There is also a photo of the back of the house as it is now.

Snoonyb, there are two other windows in the room, so no worries there. And either roof style is feasible architecturally. I hadn't thought about turning the ridge. I will see what it looks like with the computer model.
    Thanks

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Something about your renderings doesn't match your pictures...
    I think you roof on the house part is too tall.

Anyway, I think if you matched the size of window that is next to it, and smaller than your bumpout windows (also not shown in the rendering), it will look okay.
    And, I'd probably keep it a hip roof.

Now, as to the pitch.

Your renderings show the roof as if you were 50 feet in the air. You need to see what it will look like from 6' from ground level, since that is where you'll be standing. I suspect you'll be able to go with a lower/lesser pitch on your 1 story addition due to that.

• audreyamelia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. My instinct is also to stay with the hip. I will have to lower the pitch and worried it wouldn't look right
    . Unfortunately the Software does not allow me to properly size the attic. It's either a 3rd floor or has no height at all. I left it in one of the pictures because I didn't want to erase all the work I did laying out the rooms up there..