Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Removing section of laminate to accommodate new cabinets

greenhaven
10 years ago

I am in the exploratory phase of pre-facelift in my kitchen, and it revealed that our laminate flooring was laid around our island cabsinets. It is under the range, under the fridge, and around the 12" base cab between them.

My plan is to pull the 12" base, move fridge to new location, slide range down 24" so that I have a 24" base on either side of the range.

The range will straddle and hide (well enough) the de facto cutout for the 12" cabinet, but the two new cabinets will have to sit on the subfloor to line up with existing cabs.

Question #1: Is there a best way to remove the sections of laminate where the cabs will go?

Question #2: Am I outta luck in thinking about moving the island off it's "cutout" and closer to the stove? I am hoping that maybe I could use the other sections I cut out to fill the hole left by the island and lay something decorative atop it to hide the horrendous scars it will undoubtedly leave.

Thank you very much! We are DIY-ers, although we kind of means mostly me right now. I am handy with tools and do not lack confidence, only experience.

Comments (2)