Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much to raise the roof?

Posted by lgiorgi (lgiorgi@optonline.net) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 19:55

I hope this is not to long.....my daughter wants to buy a house but we will have to raise the roof to add bedrooms. I am asking what is a ball park figure on long island to raise a roof front and back. WE were wondering because we do not know what price we should look at. We are talking about 3 or 4 bedrooms. Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much to raise the roof?

could be 25k or it could be 400k, no way to tell. i know that sounds vague, but honestly it depends on what has to be done to that specific location. you could just have to remove the old one and build up the new walls and stick the roof on. or you could have to replace teh attic floor joists with new joists to support the load, add in footers to carry the load teh walls will have, etc and etc..

best advice would be for them to find a house they think they are interested in then hire a structural engineer to go over it and tell them what is involved. sure, they may pay a pretty penny for the engineer, but it could save them hundreds of thousands in future costs.

o

Thanks for the great info and your time. I appreciate it.

o

By "raising the roof" are you talking about adding a second floor? If so, that would require removing the roof and attic floor, providing temporary weather protection and then installing new floor joists walls, attic joists and rafters. It's usually a complicated and expensive process. It would probably be cheaper to buy a two story house if any are available.

o

We are currently in the midst of a remodel that includes expanding a current second floor bonus room by expanding the current shed dormer. We are removing about a 15 x 20 section of roof over a garage to do this.

Our work includes some other aspects on the first floor, as well, but our estimates (5 of them) came in between 80 and 110K. It is expensive! Electrician charges are a killer, and framing and foundation are expensive, too. And don't forget that you will probably have to replace the current HVAC system.

And, as was hinted at in the above post, your foundation will probably need to be beefed up to support the extra weight. (foundation work = $$$, too)

If at all possible, avoid purchasing a home that needs such extensive additions. Not only is it very expensive, but your daughter and her family do not need the stress in their lives.

Signed,
living through the hell that is remodeling

o

I'm from LI and I've heard numbers similar to Busybme for just the second floor.

There is a contractor, Larson, that advertises in newsday with 2 options adding 4 brs and 1 baths to a standard cape for 72K or 78 depending on the roofline. They list what it includes, which is most everything except flooring and maybe painting?.

From what a few contractors tell me, that most capes built on LI have sufficent support assuming it wasn't removed, with the exceptions of the ceiling joists which sometimes need sistering, but that is an over generalization, there are definately exceptions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here