Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whiteycat

Does this quote for Provia entry door with sidelights seem high?

whiteycat
10 years ago

A local salesrep came over today to show us the catalog for Provia entry doors. His quote for a front door with a 3/4 window with the beveled glass design, and 2 sidelights with the same windows in their Signet fiberglass was over $16,000!! I was shocked when he told us the price.

I know Provia is probably one of the best, if not the best, quality entry door. This quote did not include adding a transom window. I am not even sure it included cladding the frame on the exterior. It did include the Schlage handle set.

Just wondering if this sounds wrong. I am going to get a quote from 2 other dealers. One for Provia and another for Albany Doors.

Anyone know anything about Albany Door Company from Bedford Park, IL?

Ginny

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

whiteycat-
    In my opinion, when you are given an estimate for a new door that is about as much as the sticker price on a new Toyota Corolla, there's a problem. Below is a link to a high quality door store in my area on the West Coast, which ships throughout the U.S. You might find it worth your while to pick out the style, components, and materials you would want, and have them give you a no-obligation quote. Even if you didn't order from them, it would give you a reality check on how far overboard your $16,000 quote is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door Store

• whiteycat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far. I laughed when the guy told me this price! I mean, who in their right mind would pay that much for a front door???? I think he has to be doing something wrong to get a quote that high.

I am going to get some quotes from a couple other door people locally. One sells Provia and the other sells Albany doors. If anyone has an opinion on Albany doors, please let me know. Thanks!

• LauraSue1917
    10 years ago

We had a ProVia door installed last year. We went with their 2nd tier fiberglass (Heritage?) Craftsman style door with window at the top and full sidelights. We got the gluechip pattern privacy glass because the premium glass was beautiful, but expensive. The total for the door and sidelights was around $4500, I believe. Installation, which included framing to go from a double door to the single with sidelights was another $2000. I'd say your estimate seems high.

• whiteycat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We just got a price for the same set up (front door 3/4 glass with pattern plus the 2 sidelights all in fiberglass woodgrain, etc.) from the Albany Door rep. Price is $6300. Much easier to digest than $16,000 from the Provia rep. Both include installation, stained aluminum wrap to match the door, etc.

We did place the order with the Albany Door guy but now I have some reservations because I think Provia is probably higher quality door. I might put a hold on the order until I get another local Provia company rep here to get another quote on their product. I hate to do that to the Albany sales guy though since he was here for 3.5 hours!!

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

whiteycat-
    When you are spending such a large amount of money -- still too much in my opinion -- for a door like this from a reputable company, the distinctions in quality and performance should be minimal to non-existent. It's like whether the wine that scored a 99 is really better than the one that scored 98. I think you are over-thinking this decision. You're going to call back another representative from the company that gave you a vastly inflated price in the first place? If I were the Albany Door rep I would be very unhappy with that treatment. Do what you want, but that's my two cents.