Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorenza5064_gw

Marvin "Infinity" replacement windows,Reviews?

Lorenza5064
11 years ago

I am replacing casement windows (Kolbe and Kolbe TDL, and don't ask, it has been a nightmare...) with Marvin awning windows. Replacing 2 windows mulled together with same lite pattern, 2 awning windows, SDL, mulled together. I have used Marvin Clad replacements elsewhere in the house and am very satisfied with them. Today I visited a Marvin showroom and learned about their "infinity" series which is a fiberglass product. Very handsome sample window, looks just like the clad, fewer colors, cheaper. I am specifying white ext. and int. finish, don't need a unique color. Anyone have experience and opinion of these windows?

Comments (10)

• rwiegand
    11 years ago

We've only had them for six months, but initial quality seems very high (Similarly priced Jeld-Wens I put in my shop by comparison are a POS with poor fits and broken parts). They installed easily, work very smoothly, and have very good energy numbers. Seems like they really hit a sweet spot on the performance/price curve. We used regular Marvin's in the front room for their interior appearance and the color and style match of the exterior appearance is perfect.

• rwiegand
    11 years ago

Sorry-- didn't read title carefully, we used new construction windows, not replacements. Getting a proper seal for the whole building envelope made total replacement worthwhile, plus we didn't lose window area.

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

We installed Marvin Infinity replacement windows in our home about 3-4 years ago. Love them!! They replaced old Marvin wood windows. We have the clad on the outside that goes with our house trim, and the white fiberglass inside. They work beautifully and love the maintenance free aspect of them.

• rogerkoch
    8 years ago

I had Marvin Infinity fiberglass windows installed in my house about 5 years ago. We have some round top and eyebrow windows which could not be replaced at the time but I was told by the installer that perhaps within a year they would be available. After 5 years they still have no intention of manufacturing the windows I still need to replace. So my advice is if you are contemplating replacing your windows with Marvin Infinity line be sure they can make all your windows to your specifications or you may be waiting forever like I am.

• rwiegand
    8 years ago

The Marvin Ultimates match well enough in color and style (particularly outside) that you can intermix them if they are not right next to each other. You can get the Ultimates in whatever shape you want.

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Can I ask how many windows you're replacing and what the cost of the Marvins is? We're still stuck in our decision on windows. :-/

• JDS
    8 years ago

Marvin makes several kinds of windows made from the same Ultrex fiberglass material that have similar options.

The Integrity offers a wood window clad with fiberglass (Wood-Ultrex) or an all fiberglass window (All-Ultrex). The Integrity is offered in a new-construction and a replacement configuration that anyone can buy and install. The all-Ultrex is meant to compete with vbuilder-grade vinyl windows and is lighter weight and not as good looking compared to the Wood-Ultrix window.

The Infinity is an alll-ultrex replacement-only window with an interior wood veneer option (Everwood). It is only sold through limited retailers at an installed price; you can't buy the window and have your contractor install it. Oddly the sash is heavier and more attractive similar to the Wood-Ultrix window.

I would avoid the Integrity All-Ultrex window unless the only other option is a builder-grade vinyl window. The biggest drawback of the Infinity window is that it must be bought from an installer so it is difficult to compare costs or control the installation.

• PRO
    Bathrooms by Brad
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm replacing one double hung window in our bathroom as part of the bathroom remodel. I have about 25 original double hung windows in a home built in 1913 with all natural Douglas fir trim/moldings. So whatever I chose in the bathroom I will need to match up in the rest of the home. I do not want cheap white Vinyl windows. I've done a little bit of research and called Marvin directly to figure out the difference between the three Marvin Windows they make: The Ultimate, The Integrity, and The Infinity. You actually have to talk to three different departments to find out more about each window. What I found out is that the Ultimate and Infinity are very similar looking and would match up nice in an older or even historical home. The Integrity is more modern looking and that's the only big negative for my situation. If I had a newer style home instead of a Victorian Colonial I would opt for a casement window because they seal air tight when closed unlike the double hung, but it would look awful. So the Integrity is out of the equation for me.

I found a reputable installer on Angie's List so I agreed to purchase an Infinity window which is 100% fiberglass with the Ever-wood interior option, and rain glass on the bottom sash. I can even stain the interior with a gel type stain to match the existing wood trim. I think it's a great idea to use an all fiberglass window in a bathroom because of moisture and humidity concerns, and to go one step further maybe opt for the triple pane in just the bathroom. Eventually the pine wood will rot away in the bathroom, and condensation will build up on the inside of the glass from showering. Pine is never recommended on exterior trim because it rots out quickly, they recommend Cedar or Douglas fir usually. Recently I used a white PVC vinyl trim that I will never need to paint on the outside made by Aztek from a local lumber yard. I think this would also be a great choice for interior trim inside a bathroom by the way. I've tried the best white exterior paints added the mold inhibitor additives and the paint eventually cracks after a few years. The other option if you want natural wood is to go with a nice hardwood, like oak, cherry, mahogany, or maple and use a clear Benjamin Moore stain, just don't use pine in the bathroom.

If I'm happy with the one Infinity in the bathroom I could have all the windows upstairs replaced with Infinity ones. I will opt for the grills only on the windows located on the front of the house. Maybe go with the Marvin Ultimate with stone white Aluminum clad exterior Doug Fir on all the downstairs windows. My house has vinyl siding with storm windows and shutters. The Infinity Installer said they will need to remove the stormers or it will void the Marvin Warranty (which is excellent by the way 10yrs+ I believe) and they will have to use aluminum to wrap the outside trim. There's a little more to replacing the window than I thought. I will update with pictures after the install.

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Nice post Brad Lucas! Would you mind sharing some photos of the current interior trim colour that you are trying to match?

Also, what kind of figures have you got for the Marvin windows which you can stain on the interior?