Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?

Posted by Jill_homemaker (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 18:00

We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type of cabinet and I was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative opinions or experiences with it?

Are they Chinese? Or are they made in the USA? How does their company work?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?

I think you should search or ask the Kitchen Forum. Lots more cabinets purchased on that forum than in remodeling forum.

o

We went to a cabinet maker for our kitchen and family room cabinets. For the bathrooms and laundry room, we went with J&K (mainly for budget reasons).

When my builder suggested them, I did some research and vendor visits for these types of Chinese made cabinets. My thoughts

1. The wood and other materials are from China, shipped over to the USA in cargo containers. They are assembled here in the USA by either J&K or your builder as appropriate. We had our finish carpenter assemble them as we needed him to make some custom sizing adjustments on site.

2. There are various vendors selling different overseas made cabinets. Quality is not all the same - J&K was one of the few that used all wood construction (no particle board, veneers, etc.). Qualitywise, I would say that J&K seems to be one step above the other made in China cabinets.

3. Compared to custom cabinets that we have, I can see where the J&K cabinets cut corners (so to speak). Plywood side and backs were thinner than my custom made cabinets - need to measure but I think J&K ones were 3/8 inch thick while the custom ones were 5/8 inch thick (very substantial difference). The fasteners were also another area - staple like fasteners vs nails for custom cabinets. Corners were fastened with a metal angle bracket vs a long slat of wood for custom. Certain styles come only in certain colors (for example, Shaker style doors come in only dark brown or white), and sizes come in 3 inch increments - so if you like a certain door style, hope you like the one or two color choices because that is all you can get. Door hinges are no name stamped metal vs the more substantial Blum hinges.

4. The part where people can see - the face frame and doors seem to be pretty decent. If your cabinets are configured where the sides are exposed, you can order additional trim to trim out the side so that it looks nice.

5. You can pretty much configure these semi-custom cabinets to look pretty nice - for example, you can get corbels, crown molding, etc.

6. Note that all sales are final - make sure when placing your order everything is correct because they don't take returns or give refunds. If you or your builder is picking up from their warehouse, make sure everything is correct before you leave the loading dock. Dealing with errors after the fact is always tough with these type of companies.

Because we just have these cabinets installed, but not yet moved into our house yet (still under construction), I can't comment on their durability. I will say that so far, initial quality seemed ok although a large part of the perceived quality will be tied to how it is assembled. In our case, our finish carpenter assembled them and he made some custom cuts to make sure everything fit correctly. He also used nails to fasten instead of some the fasteners they supply.

Hope this helps.

o

Could you please provide a link to the J & K site? I appreciate your information. While searching this forum for cabinets, I find much of the information is out dated.

o

Sure - the website is www.grandjk.com

Note they don't sell direct to the consumer - need to place order through the contractor. Our contractor placed the order but wanted us to pay J&K but the sales rep wouldn't take payment from us, and requested that the contractor submit the payment.

You can however, visit their showrooms and check out the cabinets and options.

o

I purchased J&K Cabinets from TheRTAStore.com. As a carpenter, i have used them in many kitchen remodels and recently installed them in a 16 x 20 new kitchen in my own house. For the price, the quality is hard to match. Solis maple drawer boxes, stopped dovetails, all Plywood Cabinet boxes, full extension soft close glides etc.. all the stuff you look for. I buy the flat packs and assemble myself ( Pretty easy with a pro hot glue gun and narrow crown stapler, Cabinet screws etc.) Works out about half the cost of comparable Kraftmaid cabinets.. Tip.. ASK RTA Store who makes the Finish you select as they sell cabinets from multiple vendors and wont specify J&K unless you ask.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here