Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Semi-Gloss versus Flat Paint in Bathroom

Posted by tomato_girl (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 17:57

My husband went to buy paint at Home Depot and was told that a semi-gloss is better in the bathroom. They said it is less likely to fade than flat and is better in a bathroom.

I hate semi-gloss. Is there any truth to the 'fading' or bathroom statement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Semi-Gloss versus Flat Paint in Bathroom

I've never heard of that. However, semi-gloss is much better in a bathroom because it resists moisture and cleans easier than flat.

o

Get eggshell, it doesn't have that gross cheesy shine like semi-gloss, but scrubs and holds up to moisture much better than flat. I like the American Traditions eggshell at Lowe's.

o

I've never heard of the fading thing either, but the higher the sheen the eaiser it is to clean. I usually go with eggshell in bathrooms & kitchens which cleans eaiser than flat, but not as shiny semi gloss. Also another thing to consider is that the higher the sheen the more any imperfections in your wall will show. Around here it seems that the walls are never perfect.

o

Through out our house where ever there are painted walls and trim, we have used Sears Easy Living semi-gloss wall and trim paint. It is a rich looking paint without a lot of gloss. It is very durable and easy to clean. There is also a satin style paint which can best be described as a flat semi-gloss. In my estimation, a regular flat paint lacks character.

o

Rule No. 1. Don't seek painting advice at Home Depot unless the clerk knows painting.

You can choose an eggshell or a satin finish and get mold/,mildew proof too if you use the Zinsser PermaWhite bathroom paint.

It's tintable in pastels and it's available at HD. The good thing about it is, you don't have to ask them anything..go pick it from the shelf, have them tint it, pay for it and leave. Now, you're not confused and you have the right product.

Painting doesn't need to be difficult. :) (I'm smiling)

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: PermaWhite

o

I buy the eggshell for my kitchen and my baths. It's not shiny, and it wipes very easily.

Nice smile, Michael. How's the door business coming along?

Red

o

Red,

Wood windows and entry doors...coming along nicely.

I'm accountable for sales and product seminars to 8 large dealers that buy our products. I miss the in-touch business of painting and being with my customers for days and weeks at a time, but I'm not missing the physical demands of painting everyday. I have gained 3 lbs. Don't tell JamieS!

Thanks for asking!

Michael

o

Oops. We are painting the master bath in our new home. First coat was a dark orange satin paint from Sherwin Williams. We accidentally bought flat paint for the second coat and didn't notice until we finished. I'm afraid of it not being able to handle moisture well. Especially above the shower. Should we paint a third coat, this time with satin again?? Is it worth it?

o

Yes Michelle,
IMO it's worth doing the last coat in Satin. You DO need that outermost layer to be the cleanable/moisture-resistant coat.
Sorry!
Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here