Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomato_girl

Semi-Gloss versus Flat Paint in Bathroom

tomato_girl
18 years ago

My husband went to buy paint at Home Depot and was told that a semi-gloss is better in the bathroom. They said it is less likely to fade than flat and is better in a bathroom.

I hate semi-gloss. Is there any truth to the 'fading' or bathroom statement.

Comments (9)

• disneyrsh
    18 years ago

Get eggshell, it doesn't have that gross cheesy shine like semi-gloss, but scrubs and holds up to moisture much better than flat. I like the American Traditions eggshell at Lowe's.

• gin_gin
    18 years ago

I've never heard of the fading thing either, but the higher the sheen the eaiser it is to clean. I usually go with eggshell in bathrooms & kitchens which cleans eaiser than flat, but not as shiny semi gloss. Also another thing to consider is that the higher the sheen the more any imperfections in your wall will show. Around here it seems that the walls are never perfect.

• texasredhead
    18 years ago

Through out our house where ever there are painted walls and trim, we have used Sears Easy Living semi-gloss wall and trim paint. It is a rich looking paint without a lot of gloss. It is very durable and easy to clean. There is also a satin style paint which can best be described as a flat semi-gloss. In my estimation, a regular flat paint lacks character.

• Michael
    18 years ago

Rule No. 1. Don't seek painting advice at Home Depot unless the clerk knows painting.

You can choose an eggshell or a satin finish and get mold/,mildew proof too if you use the Zinsser PermaWhite bathroom paint.

It's tintable in pastels and it's available at HD. The good thing about it is, you don't have to ask them anything..go pick it from the shelf, have them tint it, pay for it and leave. Now, you're not confused and you have the right product.

Painting doesn't need to be difficult. :) (I'm smiling)

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: PermaWhite

• redbazel
    18 years ago

I buy the eggshell for my kitchen and my baths. It's not shiny, and it wipes very easily.

Nice smile, Michael. How's the door business coming along?

Red

• Michael
    18 years ago

Red,

Wood windows and entry doors...coming along nicely.

I'm accountable for sales and product seminars to 8 large dealers that buy our products. I miss the in-touch business of painting and being with my customers for days and weeks at a time, but I'm not missing the physical demands of painting everyday. I have gained 3 lbs. Don't tell JamieS!

Thanks for asking!

Michael

• michellelisa
    17 years ago

Oops. We are painting the master bath in our new home. First coat was a dark orange satin paint from Sherwin Williams. We accidentally bought flat paint for the second coat and didn't notice until we finished. I'm afraid of it not being able to handle moisture well. Especially above the shower. Should we paint a third coat, this time with satin again?? Is it worth it?

• Faron79
    17 years ago

Yes Michelle,
    IMO it's worth doing the last coat in Satin. You DO need that outermost layer to be the cleanable/moisture-resistant coat.
    Sorry!
    Faron