Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marmot3_gw

Design/build process - how does it really work?

Marmot3
10 years ago

I'm contemplating an addition to my house, and I'm a bit lost as to how to start things up. I have done other remodeling in the past, and that seemed simple - come up with idea, discuss with contractor and adjust, get plans & permits, do work. But with this addition, I am thinking I need more help. It will be two stories, and require a little bit of excavation and retaining walls. Not hugely complex, but not something I want to have a builder do the plans for without an architect. I need design work - so I have been hunting for a design/build approach. It seems to me that having the same firm responsible for both parts might have some big advantages - less ambiguity about interpreting the plans, no need to also hire the designing architect to come back and supervise, etc. The one-stop accountability is very appealing. I have talked with a couple of firms, and discussed what I want in some detail. Each one gave me a (sort of) quote - and one is twice as much as the other. The higher price one seems pretty firm. The cheaper one says that the price will depend on the plans - but I have to go all the way through detailed planning and a $10k expenditure to get the "real" price. He says I'll own the plans and can do whatever I want with them. So, am I supposed to commit to getting plans done, only to possibly not like the final bid and need to go out to bid with other builders? How is that any different than just hiring an architect up front and then looking for builders after planning?

The higher priced one is $200,000+ for a two story, 800 sq ft total addition. No plumbing, no super fancy finishes, it's just a dining room (upstairs) and an outdoor room (bottom floor). Does that seem pretty darned high, or is it me?

I feel like I don't understand how design/build is supposed to work. I'd love to get wisdom from someone who understands this. I'm in Los Angeles, if that matters.

Thanks so much if you can help me get my expectations in the right place!

Comments (6)