Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliatallmadge

after a disaster: post fire or flood rebuilding

juliatallmadge
16 years ago

Have debated which forum it's best to post this on but figured I'd start here. My husband and I had a terrible fire in our home. The smoke alarm woke us up and thankfully we got out safely with our two cats. We are shaken up but obviously the main thing is no one was hurt. However, in addition to having lost almost all of our personal belongings, we are faced with almost a complete rebuild. Though the fire happened months ago, we're still in the thick of it-- having a difficult time with the insurance company about the scope of loss (all of the contractors that we had bid on the job said that due to the major fire, smoke, and water damage they would take the house down to the slab and completely rebuild, but the insurance seems to be suggesting certain structural elements are salvageable(!) We're working with an architect and, at this point, a lawyer to help us negotiate with the insurance and are trying to stay strong, keep things moving, and focus on the future. Needless to say, it's not always easy...

Just wondering if anyone on this forum is in or has been in a similar situation-- dealt with the emotional roller coaster of having lost your home (or a part of it) combined with having to argue the insurance company for a fair settlement and the completely overwhelming prospect of rebuilding (or remodeling) without the standard planing/preparation/leadup one would normally have for such a project. As I said, ours is basically a total loss, but even hearing about smaller remodeling say after a kitchen fire or basement flood might be useful. Or if there are any contractors out there who have done post-fire rebuilds and can offer insight...

I figured I'd also post as a way of introduction because I've been lurking on the forums for awhile and know that I'll be looking to them more and more as we actually get to rebuilding, buying new appliances, and decorating (which seems painfully far off!) Already I keep my spirits up living vicariously through the projects you all are currently working on and taking notes on things that will be useful to us when we are able to rebuild (hopefully sooner rather than later) I'm sure I'll be posting more then but in the meantime would be interested if anyone else has been though something similar.

with thanks, julia

Comments (11)

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

what are the things your insurance company feels can be salvaged?

• juliatallmadge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The way the adjustment is written, it's difficult to acertain.. but, for example, they seem to be saying that some of the studs and other framing material in one of the walls could be salvaged/built around. This in the room which was arguably most affected. Even if the wood in that wall isn't charred as most of the other walls are, we are concered with residual smell as well as mildew/mold from fighting the fire and from the house being uninhabited for months (with a tarp on the roof and lots of snow/rain). Far less significant, but gives you an idea of their position on things is they have a new toilet seat in our claim, but say we can removed, clean, and reset the actual toilet.

• nicemac
    16 years ago

Did your policy specify replacement coverage? Many, possibly most, do. If it does, then you want your damaged stuff replaced. Smoke damage is damage...

The labor associated with removing a few studs and prepping them (removing nails, etc...) for re-installation will be far higher than just using new studs. (I paid $1.62 each for 92-5/8" studs for a new project last week) Additionally, softwood lumber that has been installed, especially in interior walls for several years tends to REALLY dry out, making splits much more likely when reinstalled. No builder is going to want to refurb burnt studs when they are this cheap and you should not accept them.

Same goes with a toilet. Get a quote from someone to remove, clean, and replace the internals in a toilet (possibly damaged from the heat), then reinstall it. A new toilet will seem like a deal for the insurance company compared to that expense.

• ron6519
    16 years ago

I'm currently helping a longtime customer with a similar issue. A water pipe came apart in a seasonal home in upstate NY. It caused, by my estimate, around $43,500 in damage. The initial insurance estimate was $28,000. Upon going through the 18 page report it was clear he missed quite a few items and miss identified some others. They're up to about $37,000 and we're still in the, "back and forth" mode.
    The insurance company is in the business to make a profit, not rebuild your house as it was. They will screw you around for as long as it takes to minimize their financial output. If you don't have a person of experience you can call on, there are Professional adjusters who can help you out.
    I'm surprised they haven't contacted you yet. As obnoxious as these ambulance chasers seem to be, they can get you what you need.
    Ron

• juliatallmadge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yes, believe me, the ambulance chasers were there the morning after the fire. We have also been in touch w/ people who hired repudable adjusters and were happy with the results. Ultimately because the discrepancy btw the bids we got and what the insurance initially proposed was SO extreme, we decided to skip straight to hiring a lawyer. Our report is nearly 40 pages long, but I'm sure looks similiar with line items for each building material needed and how much- by room. There certainly are things that they missed and misidentified, but it seems that our real battle is on the basic scope of loss which is why the numbers are so different. You're right about the insurance co. out to make a profit; it's really sick and disheartening though when they do this at the victim's expense. You never dream of something like this happening... but pay your insurance every month figuring you'll be covered. All we want is to be able to start rebuilding and get back home :(

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

We had flood loss in our home in 05 - I had worked in the insurance industry so had some knowledge (not prop loss side) - When their estimator came in - & they were hedging towards having their contractor renovate - I had 2 other GC write estimates 1 was really high - thats when the Ins co - knew we meant business

I didn't hire a private adj - was not necessary - nor an attorney - I think they just mucky up the process & it would have meant I couldn't have direct communication w/the Ins co - which I wanted

? Does your attroney have proven track record w/property loss claims and what % of settlement do they get?

In the end the Ins co was more than generous with their settlement both w/ personal property loss as well as structural damages -

Bottom line w/prop loss unless they can prove that the loss was NOT a result of the fire/flood/etc they must make good on the loss.

Get a copy of this book "Top Dollar Property Claim$" Secrets to a successful Insurance Claim settlements -
    very insightful & helpful

It seems in your case if one could solidify the argument of cost effectiveness - renovate/repair vs. tear down start over the insurance company would be listening

Good luck - sorry for your loss

• webhomework.net
    16 years ago

I have struggled through just this type of project. I was called to expertly assess and repair and replace the woodwork from a grand 3 story victorian home of a close friend. I was able to save a great deal, including their masterpiece hand carved, curved staircase. I (re?) developed techniques through the project to seal odor and reverse water stains in their 120 yr old quartersawn oak trim. Spraying down remaining structural woodwork (studs) with a solution of lemon juice and water, followed by a sealcoat of shellac (in a day or 2, after the lemon water dried) worked miracles to stop the smoke odor.
    Cleaning and restoring with the Old fashioned remedies of sunlight, lemons and shellac were far more effective than the slow, expensive hi-tech "ozone machines" recommended by the insurance co and servicemaster". In other words, saved the company MONEY!
    The citric acid in the lemons and volatile compounds in the real lemon peels actually worked with the tannic acids natural in oak (and many other hardwood trim woods) to neutralize and reverse color and chemical changes that were caused by charring, water stains and smoke.
    I could go on, but my point is : all may not be lost if there still remains some parts that make you feel like "home" restoration may be a viable option.
    Keep your spirits and your standards high.
    wish you the best,
    here to help,
    Reid

• sparksals
    15 years ago

Thanks for sending me the link, Julia. So, are you still fighting with the insurance company?

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

In 1975 we had a home fire that effected about 50% of our home. State Farm put us in an appartment while they went about rebuilding our home to its prefire condition. We think they did a remarkable job.

• juliatallmadge
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes :( we're still in the thick of it, i'm afraid. the lastest after months and months of what feels like jumping through hoops of requests from them (including providing detailed architectural plans for the rebuild- not inexpensive!) the insurance company made a verbal offer to raise their estimate by 4.5%. Great. That brings them to 65% of what all of our builders say it would cost to rebuild our home. this is a HUGE discrepancy. i'm also infuriated that they have not submitted any kind of revised estimate in writing that reflects the discrepancies that we have pointed out/contended-- instead they throw out this verbal offer and say that they are waiting to hear a counter offer(?!) from us. Yes, we're confident in our lawyer- and are hoping that things will be stepped up in a real way soon. It's really difficult to remain positive when our whole life is wrapped up in this.... and we really feel like they are jerking us around. sorry i should also mention that the amount we are asking for to rebuild our house (per the builder's estimates) is almost 40K less than our total policy coverage. In other words, our insurance company is not even remotely close to the coverage which we've been paying into all this time.

• riley605
    15 years ago

juliatallmadge: are you still around the forums? I tried to send you msg through your page, but got a null/void error.

If you are still watching any of these threads, I would love to either hear from you on the forums, or personally - my contact info is in my profile.

Any further experience you've had toward the resolution of your situation could be SO helpful to me in the coming months. If not, I hope that means you are back happily settled in your home.