Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Screen/storm door recommendations?

chicagoans
12 years ago

I'd like to replace our front door. It's currently a steel door with side lights and a transom, with an additional storm door that can be switched from a glass insert (storm door) to a screen insert. The insert is large - almost the whole door.

In the summer we like to keep the front door open to get breezes through the screen door. We have a front porch, so the storm door is less necessary but we do switch to the glass insert in the winter. FWIW the front door faces south; the home is a white brick Georgian style.

Our current storm/screen door has a metal frame and looks cheap to me. It doesn't do anything to enhance the look of the home.

I've seen some beautiful front doors on neighboring homes, but almost none of them have screen doors. I've seen some 'vanishing' screen doors online that look great, but you can make almost anything look nice online. :)

I've looked briefly into Therma Tru (fiberglass), simply because it was recommended somewhere and they seem to have some attractive options. However, it doesn't seem that they have an option for additional screen doors.

Any recommendations, whether on brands, material, etc.?

Comments (5)