Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
supporting a cantilever silestone countertop

Posted by gwald (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 16:46

hi - I'm trying to plan for a silestone counter top. At the end of the kitchen counter, I want about a foot of cantilever so that you can sit there with bar stools. I have 2 questions.

1. I assume that silestone will not support it's own weight cantilevering over the edge of the counter, and I'm planning a 3/4" plywood base. Will the silestone need this support?

2. If it needs the support, is 3/4" plywood enough or should I go thicker?

I looked at the specs on the silestone site, but I didn't see this explicitly.

thx for any help that you can offer!

rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: supporting a cantilever silestone countertop

Plywood has limited strength since half the layers are not doing much.

It is not the material "support it own weight"
but supporting the load of a person leaning down on the furthest edge of the material.

Corrugated cardboard can support it own weight, care to lean on it?

o

I'm not familiar with silestone, so that's why I'm asking. I don't have a feel about it's strength and if it was in the specs, I couldn't cull it out.

I'm sure that people do cantilever it for counters.

o

Post on the kitchen forum. They will know.

o

Assuming you aren't wanting brackets, there are ways of "letting in" support rods or flat metal runners to give support without being seen or interferring with your kness. Im not understanding why you aren't addressing this with your counter people. If they are reputable and experienced, they will know how to address this. If you are going the big box store route, maybe not.

o

Towards the end of this kitchen forum link are some guidelines, but yes, your installer should know--make them do it and warranty it!

(Pretend Silestone is stone for these purposes.)

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen forum stone link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here