Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fooglie1

Stone staircases and small children

fooglie1
12 years ago

We're moving into townhouse this summer which has a long straight set of stairs going up that I believe are limestone. The home is in a hot/dry/dusty climate, so the stone is nice in terms of clean up and cool floors but I am a bit nervous since I have a bunch of small children and the thought of someone tumbling down those stairs is terrifying.

What can I do to make them more child-friendly? I was thinking carpeting them (not quite my taste) or putting a runner down the middle, but how would you do this with stone stairs? Glue? Would it ruin the stairs?

I also imagine that dealing with carpeting/runners in this dusty dry climate would be a pain, but we have to pick our battles.

Is there such a concept of laying wood/laminate on top of the stone stairs? If so, is that also done with glue?

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• hendricus
    12 years ago

We had an open wood stairs and a concrete set of stairs. Nothing you do will make them safe, but, the kids can be trained to be safe.

Show them how to back down on their belly. It's hilarious to see a toddler lay down on the floor four feet from the stairs and back up till they get to the stairs.

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Lighten up. Kids will be kids. Regardless of what goes on those stairs, kids get hurt no matter how many things you think you've done to protect them.Besides they are fast learners, one gets hurt the rest will know not to do that. We have all learned the hard way. Today it is from others faux pas via internet

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

I agree. Insist on a no running in the house rule, and hope for the best. Sometimes kids will manage to get hurt just being kids. You can wrap the entire stone staircase in bubble wrap, and they'll end up hurting themselves falling out of a tree.

When my now 15yr old was 7, he asked to be signed up for tackle football. He was 37 lbs. I signed him up & my mom freaked out saying she didn't want a gorked out grandkid. The league had EMTs and an ambulance at the fields every practice, and the only time they were called into action the entire season was when a kid broke his arm falling off the playground tower. 13 teams with 25-30 kids apiece, aged 7-14(3 age divisions) were practicing that day, and the broken bone was on the playground.

Stuff happens. The best way to ensure it doesn't is to insist on respecting the stairs and the house with a no running, and always use the handrail policy.

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Incidentally, that 15 yr old had been taken to the ER or walk-in 4 separate times by the time he was 8 for bleeding head wounds, none of which were associated with any of his full contact sports(lacrosse, football, wrestling,) or semi-dangerous hobbies. Those head injuries haven't stopped him from being a bright & energetic student who is taking and acing college level engineering courses.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Gates top and bottom. Of course, this still doesn't prevent them from climbing up the outside of an open staircase.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

I used to have a badly worn deck and the kids got pretty good at taking out their own splinters, using a needle.
    Show them the steps, explain they will hurt if they fall, and cross your fingers all will be OK. They're kids, not eggs.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

There's an alternative that works beyond just the hazard of the stairs. It works in other hazardous situations as well.

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Green Designs.LMAO.The only things missing are full face shield, mouth guard, hockey gloves, steel toe shoes and then we'll allow to play in the backyard on a cloudy moderately temperature day.