Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remodeling deals?? Your experience?

Posted by melinda213 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 16:26

Hi everyone. I'm a home and garden/real estate writer. I'm finishing up a remodeling story, looking at the state of the home improvement biz and wanted to talk to a few home owners who've recently started some new projects. What are you doing and why? Have you found labor cheaper in the current economic climate? If so, is your project coming in lower than you expected?

How have your plans for remodeling been scaled back or pushed forward becaue of the decline in home values?

I'd love to hear your stories. My deadline is EOD Friday 3/18.

Thanks!
Melinda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remodeling deals?? Your experience?

Interesting that you mentioned this issue.
We are remodeling our kitchen with an additon. We have been in our home for 41 years and want to stay here. We have looked at all out options, condo, new home, senior living community and have decided against them all. Our Mortgage is way paid off and our home was $38,000 in 69. We love our room and privacy. Surpisingly, living in a high priced area with high expendible income does not follow the economic downturn as in other areas of the country. The renovations are quite expensive. Our bids are high for those contractors that have monied clients and are very busy (and they are). Other builders who have the ability to do the job did not seem busy and we were afraid to take the chance. The bottom line is that building renovations including two story additions are doing fine in the DC Metro area. There are many large homes that need large projects and dollars to pay for it. We chose a builder that has a small company, a little way out of the City area, but one that is very busy.
Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here